Tooth Root Abscess

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Haven Rabbitry

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering, if a rabbit has a tooth root abscess, is this genetic? I have a rabbit that we thought may have pasteurella but he has unilateral (one sided) nasal discharge and is NOW shaking his head. He's going to the vet for sedation and xrays but I'm just wondering if I shouldn't breed him. I just thought if he didn't have a malocclusion, could it still be genetic?

Thanks!

The abscess itself is not genetic- it is an infection. But do ask your vet if he thinks the bun has misaligned teeth (including the molars) that might have made the abscess more likely. Sometimes buns with overgrown tooth roots or molar spurs will be more prone to dental abscesses. But these can often happen to rabbits with beautiful teeth too.

:yeahthat:
but it does seem that some bunnies are more prone to tooth problems, which indicates there's something structurally different about the way their teeth are aligned in their head, which is genetic. Most bunnies (but not all) with teeth issues have genetics to blame.

Back