Toby fell from 5 ft up, landed on his stomach

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this should go to the infirmiry or not... This evening I took Toby (approx 3.5 months old) to the bed for him to run around freely on the mattress this evening and as I put him back in his cage he flew out of my armsand landed very badly (in my opinion). He went "splat", half in the litter box, half out. The side of the litterbox is taller than he is standing up, which means his stomach took the brunt of that fall. It freaked me out, I was screaming. He seems to be ok, though. I felt him all over, nothing seems out of place. He is still sorta running around. He just pooped and then ate hay. I'll have to check on him maybe in the middle of the night to see if he's ok or not. It worries me, I'm sure a fall like that could cause internal injury... you think?

I read somewhere (I think someone's RB post) that their 4 month old baby bun jumped off the kitchen counter and broke his spine and then passed away. I am so afraid Toby might do something like that... :nerves1:nerves1:nerves1

I would think you would get more responses in the infirmary. I would PM a mod and see if they think the thread should be moved so you can get some advice ASAP. Very scary, I hope Toby is okay.

Thanks, whoever moved it

Toby still looks normal. Doesn't appear to be in any pain. I will monitor. I gotta hold him better from now on. I take liberties with him because kirby is so calm. Toby is the opposite of calm :(

(I moved this to the Infirmary for you. ;) )

I'd keep an eye on him. Pooping and eating is a very good sign.
If he was seriously hurt, I thinkhe would have shown some more obvious symptoms of an injury. However, buns are great at hiding things like that.

Maybe put a call into the vet to check their hours and let them know what's happened and that you might have to come in if necessary.

Sending good thoughts, healing vibes, and prayers of all kinds your way.
:pray:

I've had similar things happen before. Although it looks horrible, the rabbits were fine, thank goodness!

As long as he is moving normally and eating/pooping, it sounds like he will be perfectly fine. Hunching in a corner and being inactive can be a sign of pain, so just be aware of that incase you see it. But if he seems normal by morning, I'd say he'll be fine. :)

Thanks Jim.

My vet has pretty good hours. I hope he is ok. I am leaving for Hawaii on Saturday too :( my brother is bunnysitting. I wrote a document on bun care and it has what to do in emergencies. It would be his second extended time sitting. He is pretty good and follows instructions and he loves my bunnies. I just know I am going to worry like nuts.

the toby high jump,..if no injuries are apparent,keep a watchful eye of his behavior,any feat of jumping can result in hairline fractures,internal-problems/.listen to his breathing and gi tract up to your ear,..i have cancelled vacations for alot less,..sincerely james waller

Toby looks pretty normal this morning. He was lying down when I found him, but then he immediately stood up on his hind legs to greet me. He's been munching on his hay by the mouthful and he ate pellets overnight as well. He looks pretty normal to me. No signs of pain, no avoidance or change in behavior. Heck, he was running all around me when I sat in his pen and he jumped to and fro the top of his hidey box and my lap. I think if he had any sort of fractures he wouldn't be hopping like this. He's only about a 1.4lb bun, so maybe his size made the fall not-so-bad. My guess is he is ok. I have to work today, but I'll be watching him through my webcam. I think my brother is coming by to drop off his stuff before going to work in the afternoon so I'll have him check on Toby too. Thanks everyone!

RO is definitely on the document as a reference and resource.

I think the story you were talking about. the bunny fell and broke it's neck. I believe it was a young- baby bun. :(

I'm glad your bunny is fine. :)

I've had bunnies fly out of my hands and land very hard with no issues at all, and I've had Pipp slip softly off my chair and she stopped hopping for two days. Thankfully it was just a sprain.

Never can tell!

sas :bunnydance:

Back