To Breed or not to breed? Show or Not Show?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know weither to spay her or give her the chance top have great kits. What do I need to know? What are some huge challenges that will make it difficult?

Also I would Like to show her, I think she is a champion. Can I show her and not sell her? How does Showing work?

Starting from scratch,

Lindsay

A few questions to ask before you decide to breed/show.

Is your rabbit purebred with apedigree? Does she have a tattoo in her ear?Does she fit the standard for her breed?

You may want to show her a few times to see what the judges say before you decide to breed.

Breeders have a code of ethics. Only breed if you are committed to improving the breed.

Attend a rabbit show before you do any of that to see if it's right for you. You can find listing for them in your area at www.arba.net.

Add to Bojay's response: No you do not have to sell her to show her. Many breeders show animals and NEVER sell them. I have show animals that are my pets and breeding stock and I would NEVER part with them.

Sharon

P.S. Do you have a pic, age, and weight of yourbunny?

I'm also new to this whole rabbit business and was thinking about breeding my bun or possibly showing her.

I've never heard of the tattoo in a rabbit's ear, what is that?

How do you know if you bun fits the standard for her breed?

A tattoo is an identification number that the breeder uses to identify his/her rabbit. This way on the show table, everyone knows which animal is theirs. You'd be amazed at how many don't know.

Join the American Rabbit Breeders Assoc. and they will send you LOADS of information. You can buy the Standard of Perfection. This book describes in detail every breed characteristics. Basically it says what that breed should look like if it were "perfect". Trust me, no animal is perfect but that is what it is judged on, how close does it come.

Go to www.arba.net to join the arba. It is an awesome organization!!!

Sharon

Back