Tips on helping rabbit with Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My rabbit has been having gas issues for a while. I posted about it before. I took her to an exotics vet today and was told it's stasis. She was given antibiotics, injections and fluids. I'm giving her a probiotic, metoclopramide, loxicom and simethicone at home. She's also getting some oxbow critical care. Shes still eating and pooping but the vet said shes not doing great and she's in pain. Is there anything else I could do to help her? And also how long can I keep giving her simethicone for?

Stasis describes the state in which a rabbit's GI system has significantly slowed down/stopped, and gas can be a cause and/or consequence of that. If your rabbit has been having gas issues for a while, it may be diet-related (ex. something not agreeable to your rabbit's stomach is being offered, not eating enough fiber...)

Here are some at-home recommendations for managing a rabbit through stasis, though note that if the stasis is severe enough/the cause is not gas-related, these measures are not adequate and cannot replace going back to a vet: Gastrointestinal stasis - WabbitWiki

I have limited experience with stasis, but when my bun had it, stress management was really important. So making sure her environment was calm and quiet and not handling her more than totally necessary. I actually stopped the simethicone and focused on belly massage instead, because stressing her out giving her the gas drops proved to be counter-productive. I would have to do that gently for 30-45 mins, but she would enjoy it and eventually start eating. She was still in discomfort on and off for a few days after, so the pain meds were the most important thing.

Once she started eating a good amount (which was on the first day back home), I also stopped the critical care, because giving her that was stressful for her too.

I took her off pellets and veggies completely and stuck to hay and water only for at least a week, as it was obviously something in her diet that caused the problem, but I was not sure what it was. That also helped to get her gut movement back on track.

I have limited experience with stasis, but when my bun had it, stress management was really important. So making sure her environment was calm and quiet and not handling her more than totally necessary. I actually stopped the simethicone and focused on belly massage instead, because stressing her out giving her the gas drops proved to be counter-productive. I would have to do that gently for 30-45 mins, but she would enjoy it and eventually start eating. She was still in discomfort on and off for a few days after, so the pain meds were the most important thing.

Once she started eating a good amount (which was on the first day back home), I also stopped the critical care, because giving her that was stressful for her too.

I took her off pellets and veggies completely and stuck to hay and water only for at least a week, as it was obviously something in her diet that caused the problem, but I was not sure what it was. That also helped to get her gut movement back on track.
That's great advice thank you! I hope your bun is doing ok now! She's good with critical care and simethicone because she likes it so she just licks it off a spoon but belly massage does stress her out unless shes already out of her hutch so I'll try to limit that a bit.

Latest posts

Back