Tips for giving oral medication?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pam9

Reaction score
Hi all,

I took my mini rex Bailey to the vet today. He has an upper respiratory infection, conjunctivitis, and likely arthritis (we didn't do an x-ray, but he's had a lot of difficulty getting in and out of his cage lately, and also getting up when he's lying down). He's also 8+ years old, probably at least 9 - we don't know for sure, he was adopted from a middle school science class. We now have a ton of medications, plus eye drops, and I'm looking for some tips on giving him the oral medication, as well as any previous experience anyone has had with his medications.

Injection of Baytril (at the vet)

Benebac pet gel (1 gram daily, to be given during his 10 days of antibiotics)

Sulfatrim suspension - strength 1/2 oz (1 mL twice daily for 10 days - antibiotic for URI)

Metacam - 1.5 mg/ml oral suspension (0.2 mL once daily for 14 days, though if it works to help with his arthritis, the vet says we can keep him on it)

And eyedrops: ciprofloxacin ophthalmic solution - 0.3% as base (1-2 drops in each eye twice daily for 10 days)

Does anyone have any tips on giving him the medicine? He's usually a very sweet, docile rabbit, but I don't know how he's going to feel about us putting something in his mouth - he didn't seem to enjoy the teeth exam at the vet today. Also, any comments on the medicines would be helpful - not that I don't trust the vet, who was very nice and answered all my questions, but it would be nice to hear if these worked for other rabbits or if something else could work better. Thanks!

He'll probably gobble up the Metacam, my rabbits think of it as bunny crack.

Not sure about the Sulfatrim, they do make a cherry-flavored pediatric suspension but not sure what you've got.

You can try hiding it in something he really likes like banana or apple sauce, that would be painless for both of you if he goes for it.

sas :clover:

PS: You may want to get him used to being fed treats in the syringe. Try some applesauce or a little pumpkin and/or baby food. If you start off with him interested in the feeding syringe, it will be easier in the long run.

Okay, so just gave him his first dose. Because of what you said, we gave him the Metacam first, which he seemed to like. He also ENJOYED the the sulfatrim, which I think is strawberry flavored (it's pink), and the benebac, licking off the syringes once he was finished. Guess I have one of those bunnies who will eat anything you put in their mouth! The only thing he didn't like were the eyedrops. Thanks!

Oops, my bad. The sulfatrim might be cherry flavored like you said. Either way, it's pink, and he gobbled it right up once we got the syringe in his mouth.

Keep an eye on his GI tract--the sulfatrim can be harmful to his GI bacteria and for that reason (plus that many bacteria are resistant to it), many vets don't use it in rabbits anymore. The Bene-Bac should help, but if you see a slowdown in poop production, loss of appetite, change in stools, let the vet know.

Its nice that worked out so well! I was really surprised when Lulu liked the gas medicine I had to give her once. Its funny, becuase she really doesnt gobble down anything (including even the really tasty stuff like craisns) but she loved the medicine...

I was prepared for a big fight, so I felt silly when she enjoyed it. :p

I may have spoken too soon...it's actually kind of funny. He fights until you get the syringe in his mouth, but as soon as he tastes the sulfatrim he starts gulping it down. It's the cutest thing, I have to take a picture. However, he doesn't seem to like the metacam as much. Or the benebac.

tonyshuman wrote:
Keep an eye on his GI tract--the sulfatrim can be harmful to his GI bacteria and for that reason (plus that many bacteria are resistant to it), many vets don't use it in rabbits anymore. The Bene-Bac should help, but if you see a slowdown in poop production, loss of appetite, change in stools, let the vet know.

I don't think that's going to be a problem. This is a rabbit that will eat anything, and that hasn't changed over the last few days. Nor has his poop production - if anything, it's been the opposite! He also seems much more alert - guess he's feeling better.

That's good! The reason I mentioned that the sulfa drug can cause GI disturbance is because of a condition known as Tyzzer's disease, where the sulfa drug kills the good bacteria in the GI tract and thus allows the bad bacteria to overpopulate the GI. It doesn't happen in all animals that get sulfa drugs, but it can happen in bunnies, so just keep an eye on him. ;)

Does anyone know if mixing a medicine with banana is bad for rabbits with bladder sludge issues?

As mentioned in another thread, I am giving Potassium Citrate but it's quite difficult to give him for some reason. I only ask because one week before this whole bladder sludge issue began, I was guilty of providing a daily piece of banana as a new treat for about a week. I wasn't sure if this was a coincidence or if bananas are bad for calcium build up.

I wouldn't think it would be bad, as long as you don't give enough banana to cause upset in the GI. Usually, potassium is good for sludgy bunnies--it can make the bunnies want to drink more and absorb more liquid into the body, which should decrease sludge... at least that's what I think! I mean, the drug you're giving him is potassium, which is what bananas are high in, so giving even more potassium (within a certain range) probably isn't going to hurt. You may want to ask your vet if he wants to adjust the dose because you give it to him in banana.

I don't give banana to my rabbit because it's so high in sugar, which can cause diarrhea. I limit his fruits to vet-approved, high fiber fruits - apple, peach, plum, pear, melon, raspberry, papaya, blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, and pineapple. See if you can mix his medicine with one of those.

Latest posts

Back