Timothy hay....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlesMom

Reaction score
I have a stupid ? do you put the hay by therefeeding bowl or scatter it around the cage?I have a lil"hut/house" for my rabbit i put some in there and scattered it aroundhis cage.

NEVER is there a stupid question when it comes tocare for za rabbeeeeets! *grin grin* Since every rabbit is different inhow they are fed, and for that matter how they eat-personally I have abowl in each cage for my two. Jezebel used to retaliate when she wantedout and toss the bowl around so I have since changed it to a bowl thatis held to the side of the cage and clamped in.

I have read though that their urine SHOULD not come into contact withanything they eat (oh not saying intentionally btw) sooo, with that inmind, if the hay is scattered and is absorbing said urine, it's notgood for bun :?hence the bowl method

nudge nudge

(thats Jez^ hehe)

Cher

i keep mine in a hopper on the side ofthe cage. (its plastic, clips to the outside-so that the hay is rightagainst the cage bars & i got mine for $1.99!) hay is supposedto stay dry, which is why i like the hopper-no bunny pee or drips fromthe defective water bottle can get to it!

The hay racks that attach to the cage arenice. I have also stuffed hay into tissue boxes or papertowels rolls.

Sometimes I just place it on the floor of the cage, but a lot of it falls thorugh the wire and it can also get soiled.

Pam N.

Megan thinks shes too spoiled to eat off the floor so her hay goes in her dish with her pellets :)

Hmmmmmmmmm geez txs for all youradvise!;)I think i may look into the wire hay hanger thingylol And i think he did his first "binkie" ??? he was running so fastthen all of a sudden his lil behind kinda twitched to the right in theair it was so cute! Thank you all i have read alot in here before idecided to get a rabbit just trying to figure some minor things out :)

thats good that youre doing theresearch first...when i got batman i thought i knew enough aboutrabbits because my ex had a bunch. turns out, i wasnt as smart as ithought i was :)

I have a bowl that I put hay in, it has a thingyon the side where you can screw it onto the side of the cage bars.. itworked nice with Oreo's old wire bottom cage, but her new one isplastic bottom & the wire top is up too high for her to be ableto eat out of it so I just keep it on the floor next to her food dish,she ends up flipping it over and pulling the hay out anyway, gives hersomething to do lol. :D

~pam

Hi NewMommieof4,

Don't put the hay on the floor. Ifyour rabbit eats it afterhaving urinated on it, it could get very sick. Many rabbitswill do this so I try to keep as much hay off the floor aspossible. I also don't put the hayrack near the corner inwhich they use as their bathroom.

I've even seen Buck Jones get clever and cut an old cereal box in halfand wire it to the cage so that it's not constantly fallingover. :)

Aren't those binkies the cutest things you've ever witnessed next to a bunny yawn?!

-Carolyn

I did get a hay hanger metal basket!! So muchbetter! And yes those binkies are so cute!!! He runs all over my houseshaking his bottom and his head:p.... how could God make such a CUTEcreature lol???!!:)

Latest posts

Back