Tilly's 'down' eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
Tilly has head tilt (as some of you know), and today when I was with her I noticed that her down eye seems inflamed (the third eyelid presumably). It's not runny or weepy, no discharge of any sort, just a bit red. I do have antibiotic eye drops I can use I want to, but I'm not sure it warrants it, neither am I sure it warrants bathing (although I guess that wouldn't hurt).

In my others I would probably keep an eye on it ('scuse the pun), but not sure if it differs with a bun with head tilt, especially the down eye.

Any thoughts?

I know that the down eye of a tilt bunny is prone to injury and often needs to be lubricated. It seems as if I have heard of a bun having protective salve placed in the eye to help protect it from infection.
This maybe something I heard forom Randy or Jadeicing .

I'llkeep looking and hopefullysomeone will tell us exactly what they use to protect the eye.

in the meantime how about sterile saline eye drops ??

Thanks angieluv, I too know the down eye can be a problem so I'm glad that wasn't something I created randomly in my mind.

I've not got, nor ever used, sterile saline drops. I tend to use cooled, boiled water, however would not be adverse to using it. Where would I get it from? I feel so stupid asking that, lol.

You can use cool boiled water which is cheaper than eyewash sold in the contact lense section of the pharmacy ..be sure to look at the ingredients.. should just say sterile normal saline if you get that but what you use is fine

Is the cause of her tilt known? The reason I ask is because if ear infection is the cause, the down ear is more likely to be the infected one. I would wonder if infection traveled from her ear to her eye... Just something to think about.

It was an ear infection. She has been treated with Convenia, from two months and had her last treatment in January. She has gone from strength to strength and is showing no signs of the ear infection reoccuring and has not relapsed in any way.

Her eye doesn't look infected like other mild infections I have seen. In fact, it doesn't look any different from any eye, I don't know what made me pull back her lid to see her eye ball. I just did. It's just a bit blood shot.

If she has been clear for 4 months, is that still a possibility?

I hink we found the culprit.

I was telling mum about it and she said that earlier she saw Summer resting on Tilly and that Tilly's down side was completely smirged on the concrete. Obviously mum distracted Summer, but that could potentially account for it being irritated. I'll keep bathing it and flushing it as best I can in case she has something in it, and keep an eye.

angieluv wrote:
probably is from lying on cement with another bun on her head
That's such a ridiculous statement, but so accurate. Poor Tilly, lol. I did bathe it earlier and it wasn't as red, which is a good thing.

Thanks Maureen :)

Ouch, yes, that would hurt! I would guess that the infection has been taken care of, and it is this being lied on thing!

Latest posts

Back