This is so difficult!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
I have two New Zealand Whites, which are some pretty big buns! They're about 11-13 pounds, and haven't actually been weighed since they were three months old and about 8 pounds.

Currently they're living in the garage in 9/10 sq. ft. playpens with covers used for bottoms((They're Marshall pens/covers, if anyone knows those c:)). After we got a new car my mother got annoyed that there was rabbit hair all over it, even though she knew it would happen and never had a problem with the other car. :/ I've been kind of looking for a new hutch, but it's difficult due to their size.

Although I have found a few possibles on Craigslist, and gotten offers for my Wanted ad, I still haven't found a really good one. :/

I'm still looking for a good one, but now I'm wondering if I could just put a roof on some type of inside cage and put that outside? Like a Ferret Nation cage or something...would that hold up in weather?

Or is there something simple I could build, or somewhere to look?
These aren't dwarfs that I can put in just any cage...They're currently in a 30 inch tall cage and both of them can stretch up to within four inches of the top. It needs to be a HUGE cage. 3W x 4L x 3T is about what I am looking for...times two.

Have you thought about getting a shed or something?

Inside cages are not really appropriate to be used outside unless you're adapting hugely to protect from weather and predators.

I agree with Flashy, a shed is the way to go for a large rabbit. You won't find a hutch big enough for those size of rabbits I'm afraid.
I'm just wondering about your weather in Texas though, I guess it gets really hot in summer, you'd need to put fans in there to keep the rabbits cool.

Omg I had never thought of a shed!

If I got a shed could I simply move the pens into the shed? Currently they're not fixed((I plan to show them in my FFA show in February)), so that was the main purpose of getting a hutch((keeping them seperated)).

Michaela- In Texas summers it will get over 100 degrees often, but by the time we move them it will be cooler. If needed they will have fans, as both have a box fan and smaller fan for them now. They've also adapted to the heat, and I take many steps to keep them comfortable.

Since now a shed is the best option, anyone know of a good place for a good, cheap shed?

Yes, you could put pens up to separate them, but you would need a pretty big shed to give them both enough space in a pen and ensure they couldn't get to each other but it definitely sounds like a good plan :)

You could look at home depot for a shed, or any similar building place. If you get one with a window, you'll be able to pop an AC in there easily. Should also have some ventilation in the roof.

Back