Think they can go together soon?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZakuraRabbit

Reaction score
I had Zakura and Cloud together on the shed floor today.
I don't have many options for neutral territories so the area is probably closer to Cloud's (his cage is on the floor, so they had access to that as well) and most breeders would rather put the female in with the male rather than opposite if no neutral territory is available and that usually works fine.
There was no fighting nor humping. Even though they weren't exactly cuddling either.. I didn't dare to lock them up in the same cage yet though.
Do you think Zakura could move into Cloud's hutch soon? If its cleaned out that is..
Both bunnies are neutered. (Zakura 2 years ago, Cloud about 3-4 weeks ago)

Breeders do it that way to make sure the doe realises she needs to submit to the male, and its only a short burst. If you try and engineer which one you want to be the boss for a long term bonding that may go wrong and you may be more likely to find fighting happens. Also, some breeders use neutral territory for mating, so it's not just a case of putting the doe with the guy.

If you clean out the cage then use a distilled vinegar mixture before putting them in.

There are two ways to do this, you can either do dates and increase the length of time they are together and keep supervising them until you feel they are bonded. Or you can put them together and keep them together although they would need roughly 48 hours of close supervision before you would be able to leave them comfortably.

Personally it sounds like they still need to sort out some things between themselves and I personally wouldn't feel confident putting my bunnies together if they were acting like that. In fact, last week I was bonding two of mine and they were great for a few days, similar to what you are describing, then on Friday had a fight because they got to the point where they needed to sort out who was boss, so I would always advise caution unless you can watch them 24/7.

Latest posts

Back