Tetracyc for a URI?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyRabbits

Reaction score
Hello..Just returned from Spirits vet visit for her sneezing/runny eye issue and the vet perscribed her Tetracyc...is this a good antibiotic for that diagnosis? I am supposed to give her 100 milligrams twice a day..does this sound about right? Again all this is new to me so just checking to make sure this will be safe for her..when I originally askedthe question about Spirit's symptoms someone who answered gave a few suggestions on antibiotics that were good for the URIbut the Tetracyc was not one that theyhad said..so just wanted to check into it..I trust my vet but I also trust peoples opinions that have had rabbits for years and have also dealt with this issue hands on..Thanks in advance for your answers! I'm just happy shes on her way to being well again :yes:

angieluv wrote:
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Antibiotics/Safe_antibiotics.htm
tetracycline is used on rabbits but is not one of the newer stronger meds; are you giving it in water?

She has me giving it to her in a syringe..its banana flavored

So that site says 50 mg every 8-12 hrs? I dont want to give her to much the vet said to fill the syringe thing to 100 mg and give it to her twice a day :?oh no now I'm confused..I'd rather give her less for alonger amount of time than to give her to much and hurt her

angieluv wrote:
give her the instructions that the vet told you; that site is in kg. which is different than lbs.

Thanks Angie I appreciate your help..Idid not thinkSpirit wasacting"sick" since she started sneezing..now its only been a few hours since she had her first dose of the antibiotics and I can totally tell she is feeling better..I really didnt think she was acting differently before but now I can see it...I guess I still have alot to learn about her personality being as I've only had them both for 2 months I'm learning everyday more about them and how completeley different their personalities are from each other..I'm so happy to have this taken care of..took a little longer than I had originally hoped to get her to the vet but it got done and I couldnt be happier! I thank you and Spirit thanks you :hugsquish:Until my next question.....:blushan:

Korey

Also, the syringe will either have mL, cc, or "units" marked on it. 1mL=1cc=100 units. Definitely do what the vet told you to do. Tetracycline may not be a very strong antibiotic, but the dosing form is right. Many large scale rabbitries dose tetracycline in the water, which can be unreliable as not all bunnies will drink their entire thing of water.

Latest posts

Back