teeth issue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yan1218

Reaction score
So didn't update for a looong time..university just took control over my life for the past few months. So I actually found a temp. foster home(she was a friend who lived in an apt) for my bunny, and I took him for a body check yesterday. The vet said he is healthy, except he is a bit overweight. When he checked his teeth, he found out that his front teeths are misaligned. He wasn't too corncered about it and although it can be corrected though surgery, my bunny seems to fine and he thinks it should be genetic. So he just suggest me to get chewing wood for him. What do you think? Is this more serious than just getting chewing wood?

P.S sorry ugly drawing

1hqxpt.jpg

Hi,

I think it's a very accurate drawing. That is a condition called malocclusion...basically it means that the teeth don't line up properly. Since a rabbit's teeth are open rooted....they grow all the time. Contrary to what many believe...it's not how hard something is..it's how chewy something is that keeps the teeth worn down....but that only applies to teeth that properly occlude. It's the tooth on tooth contact that actually wears the teeth down....the teeth wear each other. These teeth are very hard....a piece of wood is going to do absolutely nothing to help wear these teeth down. It is possible that the problem is genetic....but with lateral malocclusion like this, the possibilty of a fractured jaw at some point in this rabbit's life has to be considered. We see broken jaws in baby squirrels that fall from their nest....it is a death sentence since they can't be released.

There are a couple of options here. You can trim these teeth every few weeks. You can use small side cutters (cutting pliers) but there is a high risk of cracking and/or shattering the tooth and that can lead to a worse occlusion issue or even an infection in the gum and that can lead to an abscess. This also makes a very ragged looking tooth. A high speed dremel can be used to grind the teeth down....this usually requires sedation since the noise is frightening and if the tool slips....it will make a huge gash. This method is much better than clipping. It won't have to be done as often since a closer cut can be made down to the gum line....and have a nice smooth cut. The best method is to extract all the offending teeth....and by your drawing, that appears to be all six incisors (four on the top and two on the bottom). Short term, this is a painful and stressful procedure. Long term....it is the best thing. After our first incisor extraction, I thought I might have made a poor decision. Even with the most aggressive narcotics, it was still a painful procedure. Things improved dramatically after 72 hours. We know now that we made a good decision as Noah no longers needs sedation every few weeks....a huge money saver and more importantly, Noah doesn't have to endure surgery every few weeks.

But to answer your direct question with a direct answer....it is much more serious than chewing wood...and in fact, chewing on wood would be of very little, if any, benefit in this situation.

Randy

Is there any way you could post an actual photo? It's unusual to see the teeth laterally misaligned? (I'm assuming the photo is anterior) The jaw does move back and forth, so sometimes the teeth don't appear aligned during a cursory exam.

Pam

I will try to get a picture this coming weekend. I think there is a possibility that it was just the jaws moving, because my rabbit had never shown any sign with teeth problem(he eats a lot!) . The vet said "the teeth looks OK, it is just misaligned":? (it doesn't even sound right) It is the first time I visit that vet and I am not really sure if I am gonna return to that vet again. Although I did get his information from a rabbit website and it said he is a rabbit-savy vet.

Hi yan1218,

One of my rabbits have malocclusion too. I've posted some pictures on this thread: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=39884&forum_id=16 There are pictures from other members too.. maybe you could take a look at those pictures, and compare your rabbit's teeth against those.

Randy,

Is this the type of side cutters you were referring to?

sidecutter.jpg

My vet is very reluctant to clip my rabbit's teeth because of the risk of fracture/hairline cracks leading to an abscess. He prefers to sedate the rabbit and grind the teeth. I prefer grinding, but I do not want to sedate my rabbit regularly (as I understand that this will be harmful in the long run). Right now, it seems like clipping is the lesser evil. If he doesn't grow out of his malocclusion, then I will consider learning how to clip his teeth myself..

Unfortunately, I've asked around and the vets here either have not performed teeth extraction or are not in favour of it at all.. I've tried explaining that rabbits have prehensile lips and are able to eat normally without teeth but they outright disagree with me.. sigh :( In any event, I don't feel confident in having them perform the extraction, based on the feedback I've received when talking to them.

hmm..i checked again my rabbit's teeth and they looked perfectly fine now..i wasn't sure what happened during the vet visit causing the bun's teeth to look misaligned. I wasn't able to get a picture but they looks normal. Now i will focus on the weight issue. :cool:

P.S def not going to that vet again:X

Video about dental issues in rabbits may help.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-yqxn9P_0I[/ame]

yan1218 wrote:
hmm..i checked again my rabbit's teeth and they looked perfectly fine now..i wasn't sure what happened during the vet visit causing the bun's teeth to look misaligned. I wasn't able to get a picture but they looks normal. Now i will focus on the weight issue. :cool:

P.S def not going to that vet again:X

The jaw is easily shifted over when opening the mouth of an herbivore or omnivore. Lateral jaw movement is very limited in carnivores, which your vet might be more accustomed to.

(Note how easily you can shift your mandible to the side).

Pam

Latest posts

Back