Syringe? HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fancybutterfly

Reaction score
Ok, bob hasn't been drinking...about 12 hours. I have tried water mixed with apple juice,

pineapple juice for a furball, and pedialyte. He just took two small licks of Pedialyte.

I am ready to syringe. But I don't know where to find one, or how to inject it, HELP!

That little XXXX!!!!!! edited language ;)

30 seconds after I wrote the first post, I look in on him and he's drinking the apple water.
A minute later he's trying the pineapple juice!

At least he's drinking some!
I'd still like to know about the syringe thing though. It's good info to have.

Yea, phew!
Not a whole lot, but some.

Maybe I need to NOT sit near him all the time and let him do his thing. It was when I wasn't looking over him that he did that!
I did sniff at his lettuce (I've been keeping a few fresh pieces out in case). That's the most attention he's paid to it in 24 hours!!

He may have been picking up on your stress and attention, o when you poddled off, things got easier for him.

I also just wanted on say that on this thread and the other I didn't answer some of your questions, although I did look for relevant info, but I just didn't feel able to answer because I didn't feel I knew enough, so please don't feel I was ignoring them or anything.

x

Nope I didn't think that~
I know how it is...but thanks for wha you have offered!

Would he sense on my stress about other things...like moving? Would he sense that our house looks different? and that he has had a few bonding expeiences with Zeus?

I'm glad he is drinking now. But you can even get syringes at the drug store. I get them free all the time when I get my son's meds filled. lol

Bob hasn't had a drink since earlier today.
I have him out of the bedroom, but he seems to want to go back in there, but all he does is lay under the bed. I want him in the living room so he will move around more.

If he has GI stasis, would he be hopping around and groomng himself?

He is a sensitie bunny. ACtually I ted to think he'd be happier not binding with Zeus!

That little stinker! It's when I'm NOT looking he does things!
HE JUST POOED!!!!! YEAY! and they are normal pills.
I still want him to drink more, but can I assume then that it's not GI?

PS Where do you stick the syringe?

fancybutterfly wrote:
PS Where do you stick the syringe?

For orally administering foods/liquids - in the mouth.

Only special hydrating fluids such as lactated ringers solution should be injected under the skin - the oral feeding syringes have a flexible rubber tip rather than a needle (or use a regular syringe without the needle for oral feeding).

Pam

Thanks Pam. I thought it was oral, but wanted to make sure.

Good news! Bob is eating hay!!!

Thanks to all who offered advise, info and support!

If you do find you ever have to do a syringe feeding, place the syringe behind the front teeth at an angle, not straight down the bunny's throat. Allow the liquid to go into his mouth slowly so that he has time to swallow. You don't want to do it too quick because the bunny could choke on it.

Hopefully you won't need to do it, but maybe sometime down the road it will come in handy. I always have the syringes in the house in varying sizes for liquids and for critical care. It's something I like to keep on hand in the bunny med cabinet "just in case."

Good luck and hope he continues to improve.

Thank you Murph.
Tomorrow on my drugstore run, I'm going to pick some up!

Bob didn't eat a whole lot of hay, buta little is better than nothing!

Back