Symptoms of kidney and bladder problems.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmh9023

Reaction score
Hi, I've beenlooking on theposts for info about kidney and bladder problems and I've found a lotof good information. But, I didn't find the answer to themain question I had. Wondering if anyone can help?

My Holland lop has been drinking alot of water, which I'vebeen reading about. But also, his litter box gets absolutelydrenched. By the end of the day, there isn't a dry piece ofYesterday's News to be found. He isgreat at usinghis litter box. He never goes outside of it when he's in his cage. Whenhe's out he always goes on newspaper. So he hasn't lost his goodhabits. What does this sound most like?

The vet (she's a rabbit vet) took a blood sample today but not a urinetest. Will a bladder infection show up in a blood test?

Thanks for any advice you have!

The blood test will show if there are problemswith the kidneys, which are possible. But as far as I know itwon't show if there's a urinary tract infection. There mightbe an increase in white blood cells, if they check that. Butif the blood test doesn't show anything out of the ordinary then aurine test will be needed.

Keep us updated!

Thanks. I guess I'm just a little moreworried than usual because he didn't see my regular vet and its aweekend so I'll have to wait until Monday for the results.It's the enormously excessive urination that baffles me. One thing thatI think is good though is that he's continuing to gain weight. When Igot him 3 wks ago he was 2.1 lbs, at his first vet checkup 2 wks laterhe was 2.5, and today he was 2.7 lbs. Which part of WI areyou in? I'm in Milwaukee- Southeastern WI.

Mine is Dr. Bennetts who's on thelist. The one next to her, Dr. Geiken, doesn't do rabbitsanymore. She became allergic to them. The other vet that seesrabbits at Small Animal Hospital now is Dr. Marcy Keefe.

I got a little more worried about Buster tonight. I watched him whilehe was out and when hewent on the newspaper he stayedsitting, the others always hike their little tail up. Then asthe newspaper got wet around him, he just sat there for a bit like hedidn't even know he'd gone. That makes me nervous. I'm goingto try not to think about it so much over the weekend. He doesn't seemin pain or anything...very active and playful.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info! I've changed thelist. Is that behind the McDonalds right off the I-43 NorthAvenue exit? I used to have to get off there for work (I usedto work at the Blood Center), and that area always creeped meout. There were always lots of cops there until the murderrate in that area skyrocketed (summer 2005) and suddenly all the copsdisappeared!:shock:

Anyway, I hope the vet can figure this out soon for you. Poor little guy. What's his name and how old is he?

Well, good news so far about Buster!His blood tests were fine. He's slightly anemic but nothing to beworried about. I'm going to take him in for a urine test on Friday.Maybe he just loves his water. I put in a 16 oz bottle and he finishesthe whole thing a day. That's about as much as I drink! This is hispicture that I saw on the WI Humane Society site. It was a love atfirst sight thing :) He's even cuter in person now that he's had achance to clean up his fur :)

I had a little dwarf hotot named Ben who died about 8 months ago wholooked a lot like your avatar picture. He never stuck out his tonguethough! :) He had a mass on hischest and had chemoand alsowent to the UW Vet School for radiation which helpedhim to live an extra year. So, I have a special fondness for that kindof bun. So cute.

Small Animal Hospital is the one you are thinking of behindMcDonald's.I would totally recommend it if you ever need aback up.

Thanks!

Helicopter ears! :bunnyheart Hopefully he just really likes water.

That's cool about the vet. I knew it was supposed to bebehind the McDonalds because of the Petbunny vet listing, although Inever actually saw it. At least it's not far from thehighway. Ever been to the emergency vet clinic on SilverSpring? It seemed like it took me forever to get there,although it probably seemed longer because I wanted to be there ASAP,you know?

I'm so sorry about Ben. How old was he when hepassed? I love my little hotot girls- I have twosisters. They're little bundles of bunnytude, especiallySprite, my avatar. She has issues because of her last owner,and she bites, but she's also a licker.:D

Back