Sword-swallowing rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicken Lips

Reaction score
Hi all,

New here, but ran into a uniquely (at least it seems to me it would be) harrowing experience the day before yesterday, and thought I'd share it.

First, a general request: someone knowledgeable should make a page searchable through the search engines on "how to get something out of a rabbit's mouth" or something along those lines. We searched and, though it might have been our failure of wording/search terms and haste, found nothing.

Anyway, we have a young, 4.5-month-old Holland Lop who's a curious and loving little guy. A week or two ago, he found something on the living room floor and was chewing on it, and it seemed really hard and made loud noises. I was very alarmed, but didn't know how to get it out, and after a while the problem seemed to "go away," as it were, and, given that nothing else came of it, it was a relief.

Well, day before yesterday he did it again. He got onto a table and picked something out of a glass tray that my visiting mother had put a few things in, and none of them could have been good. He had it in his mouth and was trying to chew it, making loud metallic-seeming crunching noises.

This time, despite the stress it would cause him, I wasn't going to let it go. So I picked him up, and, for the next 20 minutes, my wife and I did everything we could to get whatever it was out of his mouth. It never seemed to go down, and when we were messing with his mouth he'd stop chewing, but as soon as we stopped for, say, 10 seconds or so, he'd resume chewing, and maybe try to get away.

Anyway, we kept at it, and discussed the possibility of just letting it go and hoping for the best, as it was possibly just a small eraser or piece of pistachio shell or something that would pass. Fortunately, though, we didn't follow through on abandoning it, because...

After another 5 minutes or so of putting our fingers in his mouth to try and feel around and grab anything in there, and putting pressure on his jaw muscles as gently as we could (poor little guy was hurting as we squeezed them -- I could feel his jaw quivering) to make closing his mouth and chewing uncomfortable, my wife finally saw what it was.

And what it was, was a straight-pin needle, sharp-end pointing, thankfully, out of his mouth. He had that thing far enough down his esophagus that, for the preceding 25 or so minutes, we could not see what was in his mouth, but he was chewing on the end of it.

It takes a lot these days to make my jaw drop, but that was pretty shocking. Our rabbit was eating a needle. And what was more amazing was that he survived it. I have no idea how we managed to get that out of there, given that we are new to rabbits and had no idea what we were doing, and I shudder at thinking how close we were to giving up and hoping for the best.

He might just be really resilient or a good pain-hider, but it doesn't even appear to have harmed him. We hugged him for a while before letting him go, and I think -- it appears -- he actually intuited some of our emotion or what was going on, because he settled down for it, and despite his mighty wrangling and fighting earlier, as soon as I let him go, he stayed on me and licked my nose. I'd almost think the little guy knew what happened and was appreciative. Kinda served as a bonding experience, almost.

He was eating and acting normally right after the whole ordeal, and we were the only ones shaken for the rest of the night.

But anyway, yes, we have a sword-swallowing rabbit who lived to tell the tale.

A needle?? I'm still amazed.

Woah! That's crazy! I'm so glad he's okay, and that you persisted!! That would have been so scary! D:!!

oh my god...that coulda ended very bad....im so glad ur buns ok :):).thanks for posting ur story ..reminds us all to make sure wherever bunny goes its gotta be bunny proofed...

Yikes I have never heard of that happening. The only thing I can think of that would help to get something stuck in a bunny's mouth out is sedation (because they will hold their jaws shut if you try to get in there, as you know) and dental instruments that vets use to open the mouth to do tooth grinds.

Yeah, it's totally crazy! It was surreal watching my wife pull this [relatively] long metal thing out of this tiny adolescent 1-pound rabbit's mouth, then show it to me.

I still shudder thinking about what would have happened if we quit. All the signs were that it was not going to come out.

If it helps anyone else, to be more specific, I'm not sure exactly what part of what I did helped, or if it was the whole thing (in other words, wearing him down to the point that he finally gave up, maybe), but here's what I did.

I first held him on his back (which I later recognized as probably a bad idea -- in a few minutes I switched him to hold him upright). During that time, I tried to put my fingers into his mouth by pinching them in behind his teeth (not actually pinching him, but in the sense of a pincer movement) and trying to grab anything in there without hurting his tongue or anything.

Not finding anything in there, I let his mouth go for a bit and waited to see if he still had anything. A few seconds after I released he would start chewing it again. So my wife and I kept trying again, without success.

Finally, what seemed to get success was pinching (again, gently with flat of fingers) the sides of his cheeks to make chewing uncomfortable (and probably mildly painful). I was careful not to push muscle into bone or anything, but I was indeed compacting the cheek/jaw muscles.

Within 20 seconds of this, his jaws were very obviously quavering, and he was clearly distressed. He was definitely stopping chewing, but still nothing. Continuing to apply jaw/cheek pressure to the flat of his cheeks, I had just about given up hope for good when, finally, he released it, and the needle head came out suddenly.

I'm not sure if the whole preceding 20 minutes of sticking fingers in mouth was totally unnecessary and ineffective, or if it was a helpful process of wearing down his resistance. If I was to be in this position again, I'd probably try the jaw pressure method first, as 20 minutes is a lot of time for the rabbit to try to finally get something hazardous or deadly down. (I guess sedation would be far preferable, but I can't imagine, at least in our circumstances, being able to get to a vet quickly enough for this type of timeframe.)

Furthermore, I was thinking about it, and the tiny size of the little guy probably was what saved him, as a larger animal would probably have had that needle go down enough to be mortally stuck.

Anyway, yeah, wow! But on the bright side of the aftermath, he's doing great and is even closer to us than he was before. But I really suppose I can't recommend this stress-bonding technique. :expressionless

A picture of the sword-swallowing rabbit in his characteristic pose, a day after the ordeal:

2v7trua.jpg

I have had rabbits for years and never had something like that happen. I wouldn't even want to advise you on exactly how to remove an object like that, howeverI would think that rolling him in a towel (bunny burrito) and holding his head lower than the remainder of his body would be helpful in discouraging him from swallowing and/or choking on the object. I wouldn't have put him on his back as risk of choking increases.

I have been able to get into a rabbit's mouth with my fingers tofeel teeth , however, this depends on which rabbitI am checking; this would be impossible to do with some rabbits.

It sounds like your rabbit is free roam and this is really a wonderful life for a rabbit but at the same time it is dangerous. My first rabbit was free roam and being naive I had a lot of damaged cords and my rabbit was lucky not to have electrocuted herself.
If your rabbit is free roam it is worth it to take the time to rabbit proof your home and/or have a special room or area that is totally safe for your rabbit when you are not home or able to superivse.

there are just too many things that a rabbit can get into that could do harm ( ex : leaves of plants, rug fibers, food , electrical cords...needles :)wink)etc etc etc

here are some ideas from our library

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12079&forum_id=17

I'm so glad that everything turned out OK this time :)....

Maureen

He looks like butter wouldn't melt, what a little horror. I'm glad he's all right.

I'm rather good at fishing things out of Scamp's mouth though he's better now he's a little older. He tended more towards bits or carpet though.

The trick with rabbit is not to try popping their jaw open from the outside like you would a cat/dog but to fit your fingers between the gaps it their teeth and leaver (gently of course). There is quite a gap between the front incisors and the back molar, if you go in the sides behind the molars there is room to poke your fingers in. You can either go in with one finger to feel around (I check teeth this way) or if you need to actually open the mouth, put you hand over the nose, and tuck your thumb in one side and first finger in the other. You can't actually see well into a bunnies mouth though - you'll most just see the tongue and a bit of cheek.

Latest posts

Back