Switching pellets....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse_chalk

Reaction score
Well, I've posted in the infirmary before about it, but Snowy has been having lots of soft poos. After nothing else seeming to be wrong with her- she eats, drinks, and does some normal poo ok, and runs about etc- we figured it must be down to the low fibre pellets that her and Barney came with. So, we ordered some Oxbow Bunny Basics T to switch them over to, on the advice of our vet (I love our vet!)

And it arrived today! :DI can't believe how sad I am, getting excited over some pellets arriving, LOL!

Anyway, when I fed them this evening, I measured out the usual 1/4 cup, then took out a very small handful (less than a quarter of it), and replaced it with the same amount of new pellets. They've eaten some, but not very many of the new ones...

Is this ok to start switching them over? Should I do more less? I think that this is what I've read in previous threads, but just want to be sure! :)

Thanks!

lol you're not sad to be excited over the arrival of pellets, i get terribly excited whenever i get Oxbow as well (i need help from friends/family to bring Oxbow to me from Singapore..Oxbow is not available in Malaysia) :D

its best to switch their pellets gradually to avoid upsetting their digestive system. gradually increase the ratio of Oxbow:Current Pellet Brand over the course of a week or two, until you eliminate the current pellets completely from the mixture. hope that helps :)

That's exactly how you should start switching them.

Now keep in mind that they might not like the oxbow and will leave them and sometimes not eat them unless they get super hungry. They will eventually decide they are ok...... now mine love them!

Congrats on the Oxbow!! Whoohoo!:D

Just start by adding a few, then a few more daily and less of the other each time you add Oxbow. It should take two weeks to completely switch, depending on their digestive systems and how they are taking them (it could take a tad longer too). You don't have to add more every time, maybe like every other time, just keep it at the same add a couple times before adding more Oxbow and reducing the other. Does that make sense?;)

Congrats and don't hesitate to ask any questions!:bunnydance:

Yes, that makes sense lol. Thanks! The instructions on the bag (apart from reminding me to be patient) say to take 4 weeks over switching over completely, so I'll make sure it's some time between 2 and 4.

And yes Bo, exactly as you said,they've eaten all the old pellets and none of the new ones...LOL! :disgust:

I had to not give them more until the new ones were gone! I kept lots of hay in the cage while we did the meanie stuff for a couple of days. Once they learned they weren't going to die from those pellets.. they were fine. LOL!

I think they smell different because they are so healthy for them.....

Of course I get to switch Tony to the Timothy Pellets from the Alfalfa starting in a couple of weeks.... oh joy. I can hear him thumping now LOL!

Thanks Bo, I did the same- gave them lots of hay and left the bowl well alone...

New pellets are now being eaten! Woo! They're still second choice to the old ones, but at least they're going...

AND, I'm pleased to report that instances of mushy poop from Snowy have greatly reduced already! She's doing much bigger normal poos aswell! I'm SO relieved!! Plus she's been running about so much more!

Now they can eat more veggies aswell!

:D

:jumpforjoy:

Thanks for all the help guys! :hug:

Latest posts

Back