Surfacing bad habits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinnibun

Reaction score
Whoopee, I finally gotmy bunny! Now I might even be able to comment and offeradvice on the forum. :)

Safe and sound for almost a week now, she'sbinkied since day two. It was kind of hard to see thoughbecause the first one was done in her cage. Now if shedoesn't get out tobinky at some point in the day, she doeslaps.

Anyway, my problem is that she chews on thecarpet. Repremanding her is easy, I just want to know why shedoes it. I mean, it can't taste that good, right?If I knew why she did it, I think I would have a better chance offinding a permanent solution. She also chews on towels andmost anything that can be gotten at from inside thecage. Is thiscommon?

Hi,

Congrads on your new bunny. Rabbits chew on things for various reasons.Boredom, Smell, Taste or just want to chew and more. You can try tospray the things she likes to chew on with a perfume. I find that worksbest. They dont like the taste and smell of it. Another thing to trythat may work well is offering her something to dig in and chew on likea big box full of straw. I like to mix timothy hay into the straw aswell, and toss some treats into the box like cherios. They seem to likethe oat straw best. They go crazy borrowing in it, findingthe treats, digging, and chewing on them. Offering her something tochew on like the big box of straw my be enough to keep her from chewingon other things.

I hope that this helps. Good luck.

Cinnibun, you might try using a darkerfont. The light fonts are very difficult (if not impossiblefor some of us to read).

Thanks! :)

Pam

You can also find some inexpensive things thatare safe for them to chew on! Like grass mats frombusybunny.com, or the seagrass placemats at Pier 1 ($3)

And a water gun may prove handy to discourage chewing. Or so many members have recommended =)

And welcomes to the little bun!

If she chews because she's bored, I don't knowwhat to do. I've tried to interest her a number of differenttoys but to no avail. I don't think she's ever had toys toplay with before. She does nose them for awhile but then hopsoff as if to say "That's no fun."

If she's chewing just for the sake of it, I'm exasperated.I've put wood chunks in her cage and she chewed on them for awhile, butnot recently. I'm begining to think she has ADD!

Spraying my floor with perfume... :cool: That woulddefinitely cut back on odors too! Ibet a water gunwould tick her off. :p Guess I'm in for a trip toPier 1. That place is dangerous.I'll endup walking out broke, but happy.

Thanxfor thecongrats and advice. :)

Hey,

The wood blocks are probably too hard, sounds like your bunny likes tochew on soft things. Realy try the straw. It works for mine.

I dont think I would recommend spraying the floorwith perfume. Bunns have delicate airways and that mightcause respitory problems. But you could always sprinkle somewhite pepper in areas they like to do their business or chew.One whiff of that will give them a sneeze and they should avoid thearea.

The grass mats are great I find, and also peeled willow baskets thathave been untreated (also at Pier 1, about 4-9 dollars) make for a goodchew toy =) Cardboard too! Cant forget the cardboard

Cinnibun wrote:
, she's binkied since daytwo.

.........You lucky, lucky mummy. I seldem get a binky. She must be really happy!!

Bunnies will chew anything they can get their teeth into, wires, newcoats, anything. So be careful. Snowy got hold of my new coat once - Iwasn't impressed. It taught me now to put anything near the reach ofhis hutch :dude:

Congrats on your new little one!!

Vickie

Latest posts

Back