Sunny didn't poop!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankz

Reaction score
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Okay..for future reference..she was fed about 10:30 last night. It's current's 11:08 am.

Ugh..I'm so worried. I woke up this morning to see Sunny in her litter pan. As far as fruits/veggies go, she ate her romaine leafs but non of the bits of apples I gave her. She has peed. I went back to bed for a while, to see her still not have moved (unless she moved and went back) out of the pan. I'm so worried..ik buns are supposed to be pooping alot. My mom said she wont have the money to go to the vet until tomorrow. PLEASE do not get on me about poor care for my pets, ik this is bad and don't need it from anyone else.

Sunny hasn't had pellets in a while, only because we've been a bit down on the money issue. We WERE going to the grocery store about a week ago to get her some pellets (although at the grocery store they're a bit fattening) but they were out. What could be the issue? She's eaten but not pooped..she's going to the vet tomorrow..I'm just so worried :/

Is there anything I can give her?

I am hoping for some one with some good knowledge to come along...

I know fluids are important...

I am afraid to say much because I do not know enough...just hang in there and someone will come and lend some advice...

and I know how it is not to have the cash... :)

We can all only do our best!

Does she have hay?

Is her stomach hard?

Can you get her to play, run around etc?

Was her litter pan fresh so that you would know new poop. Or is it possible it was dirty and you can't tell if she has fresh poop.

This would help.....

- Description (Breed, color., weight)

- spayed/neutered?

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal?
- When did they last use their litterbox?
- Any unusual behavior?

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before?

- Diet - what does your bunny eat?
- when and what did s/he eat last?

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally?

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach?

- has the rabbit been outdoors?

Could you give us the info that Jadeicing is asking that you post.? We need more specific info on your bunny in order to help her the best that we can. :)

For right now I can tell you that you can do many things to help your bunny that will be way less expensive than a vet visit tomorrow. I am not saying to cancel the appointment but when you own a rabbit it eventually becomes necessary to learn to administer care that is prevenative .

First of all it is very important that in addition to the greens that you are feeding that you also provide her with good quality hay ; if she is over 6 months you can give timothy or grass hay and if she is under 6 months you can give alfalfa hay. Without hay your rabbits Gastrintestinal tract is not going to move properly. Rabbits need the fiber of hay tokeep their intestines moving .Hay is way more important than greens or fruit

if she has not been receiving hay that very well could have created the existing problem

Also if she was receiving pellets and then you suddenly stopped them that also can trigger a Stomach and intestinal upset.

Right now it is important to get hay and it is also important to give some greens ( ex. romaine , parsley, kale, dandelions ,cilantro etc.) .

..if she has been getting those veggies before you can wet them and give a moderase amount ; if she has NOT received any of those veggies just give her aSMALL amount of one of them each day to see if it upsets her tummy or causes diarrhea. If a veggie seems to upset her stomach eliminate that particular vegetable for now.

Fruit should only be used in a small amount as a treat.

Hydration is as important as Hay . When she is not pooping,eating ,drinking she is becoming increasingly dehydrated.
Go to the pharmacy and/or Walmart or similar store and get some pedialyte ; you will also need a syringe . You can buy the types of syringes used to giving infants medication or you can ask a pharacist to give you a 20cc cyringe. You need to syringe her fluid . Place the syringe sideways behind her teeth and not facing back towards her throat , push a little pedilayte in and watch her swallow. Give her as much pedialyte as she will take

here are additional tips for giving fluids and meds orally ; if these don't work please post and we can help you with other methods.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15552&forum_id=10

You also ned to get some simethicone which comes as baby liquid gas medication. The most common brands are Gas X or Mylicon for infants. make sure that the only active ingredient on the back of the package is simethicone; youDO NOTwant magnesium or any aluminum that is in some gas meds. You can buy the baby liquid gas medication at most pharmacies.
You can give her 1 cc of the medication or give her 1 dropper which is supplied with the med. You can repeat this dose in another hour if she doesn't seem improved and then once again in 3 hrs. When arabbits's GI tract slows down the gas will build up in their stomach and intestines and be painful ; this alone can cause a rabbit to stop eating .

if her condition does not seem improved after you do the above their are still a few things that may help

You need to get a fresh pineapple and squeeze some for the juice from it. It has to be FRESH pineapple and not canned juice. Give her a few ccs of the pineapple juice about every 6 hours. Most rabbits like the taste.

Last but not least go to petsmart or petco and get some benebac which is a probiotic .
you can get either small tubes of gel for small animals or powder of the same name that is marketed for cats and dogs. Give her either one small tube or sprinkle some of the benebac powder on a little peice of banana and she may take it in that way. if she will not take it in fruit mix it in with the pineapple juice.
You can alway go to the vet but most rabbits that survive are diagnosed by a vet but treated mainly by their owners.

if you do these thing s she may start pooping again. ..

also I would get her some good quality rabbit pellets althoughI would feed heronly asmall amount; rabbits needs consistency

JadeIcing wrote:
This would help.....

- Location Wayne County, MI

- Description (Breed, color., weight) Californian, White/Black ears, paws & tail, Not sure.

- Age Around 3 1/2. Should be about 4 in December.

- spayed/neutered? Spaying appt. is set for this Friday.

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? I havent seen any, the last time I did (yesterday night) they were. She has peed like normal.
- When did they last use their litterbox? Sometime yesterday.
- Any unusual behavior? Besides not pooping, no, she's as active as normal.

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? She's been to a vet, but never has been sick.

- Diet - what does your bunny eat? Pellets, hay, usual vegetables like baby spinach, romaine hearts, mustard greens, and some occasional fruit.
- when and what did s/he eat last? Last night, I gave her some (3 leafs) romaine hearts w/a bit of apple.
I'm not gonna like..things have been hard on my mom and she hasn't had hay in a while, and we just ran out of pellets.

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? Nothing, she's acting fine.

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? No

- has the rabbit been outdoors? Not for weeks, last time was around summer.
JadeIcing wrote:
Does she have hay? Not at the moment. We're getting some tomorrow.

Is her stomach hard? No, I just gave her a little tummy massage and it feels normal.

Can you get her to play, run around etc? Yeah, she's been running around in my room like normal.

Was her litter pan fresh so that you would know new poop. Or is it possible it was dirty and you can't tell if she has fresh poop. I cleaned out her pan last night, and nothing has been in it besides pee.
Also, She's been running around like she normally does..but it doesn't seem like she's touched her water. She did eat her Romain leafs though.

Well, it seems like she hasn't touched her water. But also, I'm guessing it's because of the apple..those are watery. At the moment I don't have ANY money, and my mom is sick and also doesn't have any money. First thing in the morning we're going to the vet..I guess I can camp out next to her cage to keep an eye on her.

You can give her plain water with a syringe ...

sitting next to her cage will not help her unless you are actuallytrying to do something to help her

I don't think you should panic. Lulu once wasnt pooping, and she wasnt eating either and I FLIPPED out and got really scared. She was fine the next morning after listening to the advice these guys gave me.

Don't jump to conclusions. I really have no medical advise or information to give, but I guess I just know how scary it is to have a bunny not acting right.

Get her to the vet when you can, and make sure she gets water in the mean time.

Update:

I gave her some carrot, ik those are for treats, but they also have some fiber in them. Aaand... IDK what it was, the carrot or the 2nd passage, but she pooped, about 8 times. Not where I'd want it to be..but she's making progress. Still gonna go to the vet tomorrow.
:biggrin2::biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back