Sugar issue?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley'sMummy

Reaction score
Hi,

Been a while since I posted but something has happened and I want to know what could possibly go wrong and what signs to look out for.

My friend and her family just came round for the first time since we had Harley. Her eldest was playing nicely with Harley but then she hopped off down the corridor. He followed and we thought nothing of it, they seemed pretty inseparable. I then hear an odd noise. The child has one of those horrible spray candy things, you know the ones like an aerosol that you spray into your mouth? And he is spraying it at Harley, I stop him and he is accosted by his parents while I check Harley out.

Her fur is covered in the stuff and now she is all sticky, obviously she is cleaning herself but as I know sugar is a bad, bad thing for rabbits I took it upon myself to perform an emergency mini-bath. Just used some wet cloths to wipe her fur down and try to get rid of it all.

What signs should I look out for in the next few days to make sure she isn't ill because of the sugar she may have ingested whilst cleaning herself or any that I didn't manage to get off with the wash?

Poor Harley is petrified and very shaken up :-(

Biggest would probably be GI upset ... Diarrhea... That kind of thing. Push hay and fluids. So encourage extra hay intake. Make it a game stuff it in TP tubes and what not. Also offer a bowl of water vs just a bottle.
Should be okay though :)

Thanks for the comforting advice. We are keeping a close eye on her droppings and her behaviour. She is still eating her hay and drinking happily.

I agree with watermelons. Do a quick touch up with a damp cloth on her fur and she should be good as new :)

Latest posts

Back