substitite for meclizine in Canada

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PamsWarren

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have an elder rabbit who started to exhibit inner ear infection or neurological symptoms late last night (circling to the left, slight head tilt to the left, horizontal nystygmas, loss of balance and possibly a seizure). We put her in a carrier lined with blankets and a pillow to keep her from rolling for the night...she made it through the night and seems to be much brighter this morn (hopping around fairly well, nibbling and grooming). I am not able to get a vet appointment for her until 9AM tomorrow. In the interim, I wanted to give her some meclizine, but per my local pharmacist, this drug has been discontinued here (Canada). Is there any substitute that I can give her until we see the vet tomorrow?

We're keeping a close eye on her today. We'll put her back in a carrier if we have to go out and for the night. Anything else I can do for her?

She is currently being treated for an ulceration on her eye. She is on Metacam, eye drops, sryinge feeding/sub-qs as required. I think that the Ciloxan (ciproflaxacin) drops can burn...Could the pain from the eye drops cause a seizure? Sounds like a dumb question, but I've read the extreme itching from mites can cause a seizure. Just want to make sure that the same isn't true for pain.

Thanks.

Pam

I would call a pharmacy in Canada and ask to speak directly to the pharmacist. He would be able to tell you . I am unsure why meclizine was pulled in Canada?

Extreme pain in a rabbit can trigger a seizure but certain movements could appear seizure like and be related to vertigo.
if the drops are painful this should also be addressed tomorrow as maybe another drug could be substituted
Poor bunny :(

We have Canadian memebers who also may be able to give you more info re. a meclizine substitute

Thanks...I personally thought the "seizure" was related to vertigo; my husband thought it was a seizure. From what I've read, horizontal nystagmus is mostly likely inner ear infection. Not sure, though. In any event, she seems to be doing ok...no more vertigo or nystagmus, hopping around and nibbling rather consistently. In fact, I think this is the most consistent eating I've seen her do in a while. She's currently resting comfortably with her bonded mate by her side.

I'll post an update later or after we see the vet.

Pam

PS...the pharmacist that my husband spoke to this morn re: the Bonamine (Meclizine) didn't offer any alternatives. We use Gravol alot here for vertigo (or atleast that is what I was given when I had vertigo), not sure how Gravol differs from Bonamine, though.

I don't know why we don't use dimenhydrinate here (same as Gravol in Can and Dramamine etc in he US), especially since the wikipedia page says it's been used in animals previously. I know wikipedia isn't the best reference for medical issues, but there must be other references out there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimenhydrinate

Yes, horizontal nystagmus is more related to an inner ear infection. Vertical is from a brain problem.

Here's a link: http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/otitis_interna_media.PDF

Hi.

Just wanted to post a quick update on Moccasin…the vet put her back on Chloremphenicol 50mg/kg 1x per day (prescribed previously for her teary eyes) and gave us a new script for Baytril (5mg/kg 2x per day). Unfortunately, I don't have much faith that such a weak dose of Baytril will be helpful (I've not had good success with such a low dose with other rabbits), but maybe combined with the Choremphenicol…?

I just found out that I can get Meclizine from a compounding pharmacy, so I will discuss with the vet. The vet did not seem too concerned about the vertigo (of course, Moccasin showed no signs of vertigo at our appointment…), but trying to treat/get the vertigo under control is very important to me. Her appetite is very poor at the moment, and I am having a very difficult time syringe feeding her. I am unsure if I think that her quiet demeanor/refusal to eat is because it is time to let her go or if she's feeling really crappy because of the vertigo (I've experienced vertigo, so I know how badly it sucks!).

Anyway, given her age (we think she is about 13) and the fact that it can take a long time to recover from an inner ear infection, I wonder if we are doing the right thing by helping her fight. I feel like I am constantly picking her up to give meds (which she actually likes), syringe feed (not so receptive) or give eye drops, which I think makes her more dizzy. I don't want her last little bit of life to be filled with stress, yet I am not sure she is ready to go. I always thought that I would know, but I guess not. She's such a little fighter and she's still showing me attitude.

Oh, should also mention that I did speak to a pharmacist today about the Meclizine...he gave me two alternatives. Can't remember the name of the first one, but the second was Gravol (dimenhydrinate).

WOW she's 13! That's amazing. I agree that she deserves to live out the remainder of her days in as much comfort as possible. Chloramphenicol is a very strong medication (make sure not to get it on your skin!!) and may help a lot. That is a low dose of Baytril, especially if she's more than 1 kilo--the recommended dose is 5-15 mg/kg every 12 hours (per http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html )

Hey Pam...

I'm so sorry to hear about Moccasin...:(

You know Moccasin...and you know your bunns. If she was ready to let go she wouldn't be fighting you and giving you attitude...when she is ready you"ll know!:( There is no mistaking it.
So until she is ready to let go and leave...you keep helping her fight!
None of us are ever ready to let go...:(

Hugs to Moccasin and Jinx!

Dani

Just wanted to post a quick update. Unfortunately, Moccasin didn't make it. She seemed to be steadily declining over the past couple of days and last night, she was very, very dizzy. Even when we tried to steady her (which seemed to help before), she could not stop scanning and circling. Her mate had started to avoid her, where as before he would sit next to her and help steady her. We found that she was sitting beside the sofa leg to hold herself up. There was obviously no joy or dignity in her life anymore, so we helped her across the bridge. So, I guess I did know. I looked at her last night and knew it was time. Her "tude" was gone.

She was one of the boldest, busiest, funniest old bun you'd ever want to meet. She had many nicknames, but most recently she was "tude". She will be sadly missed.

On another note, her mate is very lost. I am undecided if I should clean out their room of the things that they shared (cardboard box, toys, etc) slowly or remove the stuff immediately and replace with new. I am shopping around for a friend for him. He's 8 and has never been alone.

Oh Pam I am so sorry...:(

Moccasin had a good run though...and she had great bunny parents and lots of yummies...you can't ask for more than that!

I would slowly move her things out a bit at a time...to lose Moccasin and then have all her stuff just gone is a bit much for poor Jinx! I would slowly replace her stuff a little bit at a time over time.

Once you find a new friend for him thats different. I hope you find him a new friend so he doen't have to be alone too long!

Hugs to Jinx, Muffy and Fuzz!

Dani

I'm so sorry. You really did the best you could for her--ear infections can be so painful and stressful for the bunny. Knowing that Moccasin wasn't "there" anymore, you made the right decision. I too love bunnies with attitude and know she will be sorely missed. I'm sorry.

I agree that you shouldn't move all her stuff out too soon, and definitely give Jinx a toy to snuggle with. You may have lots of luck finding him a new mate--we had an older (5+) dwarf come into the shelter because his mate died and the owner didn't want rabbits anymore, and his story had a very happy ending as another owner with an older bunny that had just lost her mate came in looking for a new mate for her. Even a younger bunny might be a good match.

Hi.

I had to move some of the stuff out of Jinx's room as Moccasin was understandably not using her litterbox at the end. I've left as much as I could, though. I agree...better to clean out their room slowly. I don't have a stuffed toy to give him at the moment...I think I would rather move quickly and adopt a friend for him. I remember when I first put Moccasin and Jinx together. Mocs just lost her mate, and although she was really put out by Jinx, his presence got her eating really well again (probably just so Jinx wouldn't get any of HER food, but whatever...he got her eating and they ended up to be quite bonded).

Jinx seems a bit better today. I've started to look for a mate for him...so many buns to choose from and I can only take one. All of the other buns that I've adopted just sort of fell into my lap, so to speak. I am no longer volunteering at a shelter, though, so I've actually had to go looking for a bun. I answered a "free to a good home" ad today...the girl is so absolutely desperate to rid herself of this bun. Although the bun sounds lovely, I would like to meet her first before deciding if I should adopt her. I was hoping to find a long-haired bun (jersey woolies are my favs) for adoption, but so far, no luck. I'm a sucker, though...I know I won't be able to say no to this bun if I actually see her...

I'm really sorry that you lost Moccasin , however she was really anelderlygirl and had a great life. :pink iris:

Too bad you couldn't take Jinx with you and try them together ..do you know if the giveaway bun is spayed?
if not you'll have to wait :(

Seriously doubt the give a way bun is spayed...I'm just hoping to confirm that she's actually a girl. Jinx has been neutered for 7 years, so no issues with babies. But yes, she would be separate until she has settled in and has been spayed. The rule in the house is everything that comes in on 4 legs is spayed/neutered. I'm told she's very friendly...loves people and follows the owner around the house (she's on her second home and it is the second owner's mom who wants the bun gone). She's also described as funny and curious. She's a cute brown and white spotted lop.

the onlyreason I brought up the spay is that an intact female can be really aggressive with a male , neutered or not
but it would be fine if you spayed her and had them live close to each other so they could get used to each others presence. She sounds really nice and cute. :)

Well, it has happened before in my house...my first bonded pair was a pair of males. One of the easier bonds I've ever done, too. Just not sure about Jinx, though. He's kind of a funny bun.

I have not taken the give away bunny yet...I am just a bit leary to adopt a bun without meeting her first. If it were only me that I would have to please, I would have already taken the lop...but I'm not 100% sure of hte gender or how the bun will be with another.

So...another local group has just had some long-haired buns dumped on them, one of the buns in particular was dumped because she wouldn't breed....:rollseyes So, I've decided to work with this person to adopt one of her newest dumpees. I have also been working with the person with the give away bun to get this bun surrendered to a local shelter. The woman I will be adopting from will arrange to take the lop into foster care should she be very depressed at the shelter or slated for euthanasia. I so wish I could adopt two.

I never would have thought that adopting a bun could be so hard...

Latest posts

Back