Stuart Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eileen Frost

Reaction score
Hello my bunny Stuart is approx 6 and 3/4 and has always had excessive cecatrophes. He is an indoor rabbit so not confined to a cage and he has a large area in a big room, he is also allowed the run of the whole room ( we did learn to cover up all wires to the computer etc). He has Timothy Hay from Hay Box which seems really nice he and the guinea pigs love this. I have 5 guinea pigs, they are not with him but in their own high level CC cages. He has very little pelleted food as I was advised this was not necessary especially as he has access to ad lib hay. He also has access to other hay from a local producer I purchased a bale of this from a friend who has it for her horse. He also has a carrot house to relieve boredam and many toys ( we lost our Netherland dward a few years ago, they hadn't been bonded but were next to each other and I hoped to bond them but sadly she died.) I am 71 and suffering with arthritis quite badly so unable to bend very well and my husband did not want another rabbit, to be fair he seems happy as he is, it is just this cecatrophe problem that is making such a mess. He has some veg at night, not a great deal. I am wondering if anyone has any advice.

When did the excessive cecotropes start? What brand/how many pellets is he getting? What variety of veggies? I would remove the carrot house since it is a lot of sugar and see if that helps.

Sorry for your loss! Losing a pet is always difficult.

I would take away the carrot house and stop pellets for a few days, see if that makes a difference.

Hi thanks for replying to my problem. Stuart has always done these, he was only young when we got him from a rescue. I asked my vet about this and she only gives her rabbit pelleted food as a treat, so now Stuart doesn't have a regular pelleted food, just the odd piece as a treat. He seems very healthy has ad lib hay and a smallaamount of rommaine lettuce, brocolli, parsley, kale. He has fresh grass in summer which we collect from the fields where my horse is stabled. I only gave him the carrot box as a bordem breaker as he no longer has his bunny friends. I only replace this when there is no more hay on it, I did think myself perhaps the carrot could be a problem but it has gone after a few days and he keeps the box in for weeks with just the hay covering which he enjoys. The vet says his weight etc if fine, he has his injections every year even though he is an indoor rabbit.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi yes his carrot box stays in for a month so only the hay on it after a few days, but I will try this, I just don't like to think of him being bored. He is only given pellets as a treat, recommended by my vet. Thanks

Latest posts

Back