strange digging

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagadvocate

Reaction score
Charlie has developed a new habbit. He goes to his litterbox, digs out the contents of the back left corner and then proceeds to dig/scratch on the plastic bottomfor hours on end. He has ample digging alternatives to choose from, but he just goes after the litterbox. I wonder if he thinks he will eventually get though the plastic.

I had to stop putting so much litter in the box because it was flying everywhere. I wasplanning on adding a grate to his boxbefore he started this, but now I don't think I should since I worry he may snag a nail trying to dig at the grate. My atb Holland dug his litter box too, but after he moved the litter he was satisfied. I just had to buy a "lipped" litterbox to contain the litter.

But Charlie digs dayand night at this corner. He scratcheslike a mad man at the plastic. Plus he still pees in the spot that hedigs at and sincehe dug the litter out, he is making quite the puddlemess.:?

Any thoughts/suggestions?

My guys love this 'game' too. Have you tried giving him a digging box with sand or dirt (provided it has not been treated with anything)or something in?

I'm inclined to think it's related to men and their hormones and marking territory.

Hmm, Pebble and Ebony were digging the litter out when it was a wood pellet, so I had to go back to shavings for them, but they didn't dig the plastic like that.

Have you tried the craft mesh that some people use over the litter? It wouldn't be the same as a grate.I haven't used it so I have no idea if it would work, but worth a shot I guess!

Also, phone books can be something fun for them to "dig". :)

~~~~~~~~~
~Michaela, Ebony, Pebble, Madison & Angel Bunny Berri~

Binky did that when she was younger.
The litter pan with the clip on lip just seem to frustrate her.
When I added the grate she stopped digging in her litter pan.
She still digs at stuff...mostly the corners of her pen. When she gets obsessed with digging and it starts to get annoying, I sprinkle hay around her pen and she instantly switches over to "forage mode" and stops digging.

Tootsie started the same thing when I moved her cage to the new bunnie room. She always had good litter habits and never dug in her pan.
I gave her a pan with with the clip on lip. She still digs, but the litter stays in the pan. She doesn't get obsessed like Binkie and stops after a minute or two.
The newest problem..... she's decided not to poop in her pan ***sigh***:?

~Jim

Another thing you can do is put the litter pan in a box that pretty much fits to the litter pan's size. One that's not too high on the sides (you can cut it down to size if you need to), but high enough that when he digs, the litter stays in the pan/box area:D.

I tried the screen with Snuffy and he found a way to remove it from his litter pan and chew it up, so that didn't work for him. I do have a canvas that Angel has in her pan, and it works, she mostly leaves it alone:).

Wow, What awesome suggestions! I will definitely be trying a lot of these ASAP!

I'll be sure to post the results.

Thanks so much guys! :bunny24

Latest posts

Back