Storing pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethM

Reaction score

My order of APD pellets is supposed to be delivered today.

How should I store them to insure they stay fresh, and for how long can I store them?

Thanks!

Anyone?

I think I remember some people storing them in the freezer, but I don't think we have room for them in the freezer.

How about an airtight container in a cool room?

How long will they still be good to feed?

Store in a plastic container with a few air holes in the lid. Store for maximum 6 months, freeze what you won't use in 6 months to keep it fresh. It has to be frozen to keep fresh. ;)

Thanks for the info and the links!!

Today I picked up an airtight container that will hold 38 cups. (It's a Lock&Lock, so there's a nice tight seal.)
Next week we'll be getting our dedicated veggie fridge. Luckily, we got the kind that has the separate freezer section, and I think the container I got today will fit into the freezer section. (I hope!) (It's just a little compact dorm fridge, but 3.1 cubic feet will get all the rabbit food out of the kitchen refrigerator.)

I'm going to wash and dry the container, then fill it with pellets and freeze it right away. Switch it to the veggie fridge next week. I think that should hold half the bag of pellets, so hopefully I won't end up throwing any away.

Next time, I will probably get the 25lb bag instead! lol.

Latest posts

Back