Storing Feed & How Long Will It Last?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittsBunny

Reaction score
OKAY so I finally went out and bought a feed to switch Wrangler onto: Manna Pro Select Series: Pro Formula - it doesn't contain any corn and has added fiber (21.00) Believe me, I have looked at several bags of feed and compared, and this one seems to be a quality product (yes I know, Oxbow seems to be the best, but I just can't fathom paying $12 for a very small bag of feed).

As for storing it and how long it will keep - well I have been back and forth with this. Some folks say the feed should only be kept for 3 months after the mill date and then thrown out for it can kill your rabbit. But then I've heard that a bag of feed can be kept up to 6 months. I will be keeping the feed inside my apartment in a sealed, plastic container. How long do you think the feed will be good for? How do y'all store your feed?

slavetoabunny wrote:
Freeze it in portions that you feel comfortable with. Freezing extends the life of the pellet.
Well if I had my own freezer I would freeze the pellets...but as for now, my 2 other roommates wouldn't appreciate it nor do we have room :rollseyesIt's such a small freezer! If you freeze the pellets though and thaw them out...won't they get soggy :?

Portion the pellets into large zip lock bags. This will help keep the fresh. If you will be measuring from the bag, then do a bit smaller. As long as it is not exposed to air for long periods or opened and closed a lot, then it should be fine. Store the bags in a bin or area where they won't attract pests (rats, mice etc) or get chewed by the rabbit.
For freezing, if the pellets are dry they should be ok. I freeze some of mine and they are fine after a few months in the freezer. I just take them out about a day before I need to use them so they are not cold. Pellets don't freeze into a solid block, they pretty much just get cold. I usually use the pellets in about 5-6 months, so they aren't really going to go bad.
A tip is to keep the feed tag or cut or the mill date, expiration date, lot number as well as the ingredient list and analysis. If there is a recall or you need that info, it is good to have it on hand. I write the date I open the bag so I know when I started the bag. You can also write the date on the bags if you need to keep track.

Just having the pellets in a big container or in the bag won't really keep them fresh. The constant opening and closing exposes them to the air which can make them go stale. Since most breeders use a bag in a week or 2 it doesn't matter so much, but when a bag can last months it does make a difference.
I have a small container that I use for daily feedings and the rest is kept in zip lock bags and only opened once or twice before it is empty.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Just having the pellets in a big container or in the bag won't really keep them fresh. The constant opening and closing exposes them to the air which can make them go stale. Since most breeders use a bag in a week or 2 it doesn't matter so much, but when a bag can last months it does make a difference.
I have a small container that I use for daily feedings and the rest is kept in zip lock bags and only opened once or twice before it is empty.
This is what I do too. I've got a small bin that holds about a month's worth of food and the bigger bag is sealed and stored in the freezer. Since you've got no room in your freezer, I suggest storing the feed in large ziplocs. Just make sure you squeeze as much air out of them before you seal them.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Latest posts

Back