Stolen rabbit returned home just in time for Christmas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becknutt

Reaction score

[size=+1]Beloved bunny brought back: Police recover Tiki; teen to be charged[/size]

news07.jpg

Tiki (File photo)
By KAITLIN KEANE
The Patriot Ledger

SCITUATE - Melissa O’Hearn got her beloved Velveteen Rabbit back just in time for Christmas.

O’Hearn, manager of Fitts Mill on Union Street, said Tiki was recovered Friday night by Scituate police.

‘‘I got a call from a police officer who said, ‘I have a black rabbit in my back seat right now,’’’ O’Hearn said. ‘‘I couldn’t believe it. It’s a Christmas miracle!’’

Tiki was stolen from her cage at the animal feed shop on Nov. 29.

O’Hearn did not originally report the theft to police. An employee overheard a Scituate High School student bragging about having Tiki, and the family was given several days to return the rabbit.

When Tiki did not show up, O’Hearn gave the name of the family to Scituate police.

Police Sgt. Michael O’Hara said police learned on Friday that the rabbit was at a house in Hanover. Scituate police coordinated with the Hanover Police Department, went to the address and recovered the rabbit. The owner of the home gave police additional information, O’Hara said.

‘‘We brought the bunny back here, reunited the bunny with Melissa,’’ he said. ‘‘We had the bunny running around in the dispatch area.’’

A teenager will be charged for taking the bunny, O’Hara said. The juvenile suspect allegedly saw the bunny at Fitts Mill, stuck it under his coat and walked out the door. He will be summoned to court for larceny of property valued at less than $250, he said.

‘‘The bunny was all excited,’’ Sgt. O’Hara said. ‘‘It turned from the Grinch who stole Christmas to ... the police officer who saved Christmas.’’

Sydney Schwartz of The Patriot Ledger staff contributed to this report.

Kaitlin Keane can be reached at [email protected]

Copyright 2007 The Patriot Ledger
Transmitted Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Latest posts

Back