Still not himself

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, great news! I bet you are relieved. How's his eating? Still keep an eye on him, which I'm sure you know;).

Haha, I know, about the syringing poo, that was funny when I read that:shock:.

he still does not have his appitite back. he nibbled a piece of lettace and just now as a test i offered him a piece of chex cereal which he happily gobbled up! then went immediately back to eating his hay.

Ok, this morning Floppy ate a full piece of romaine and still would not touch his papaya. I have not seen him drink, but it looks like he has been drinking a bit of the pedialyte. He is grooming an auful lot. He's still acting ok, other than not eating. He is going pee and I haven't seen poo yet this morning but he did go last night.

I have some petromalt on hand for the cats, is this safe to give him 'justin case' it is excess hair causing his problems or should I wait for a diagnosis? I don't want to be giving him too many differant things. I have not given any simethicone since Thursday since it did not seem to do anything for him.

Becky, how much pedialyte do you give him. I bought a big bottle of orange flavoured. Also Wilbur & Jackie share water so is it bad if he drinks it?

Thanks

Susan:)

Just read thru this thread. I do not suggest giving Petromalt or any of the other cat type hairball remedies. The idea is to make things slick so the impaction can slide thru. Looks good on paper...but not in a rabbit. Cats have true hairballs....rabbits rarely havetrue hairballs. Evidence shows that the gel type cat hairball medications do the exact opposite of what you want...it compacts and further dehydrates the impaction. Hydration is what you want.

Just a thought here....can you make a time line from when you first noticed this problem. Anything new in the diet....even a new bag of pellets or new batch of hay? Any possibility he nibbled on something that heshouldn't have....maybe carpet or something like that? Issues like this are symptoms of something else....the problem is to find the "something else" and correct it. I guess you can see that I am looking for something here.

And the idea of force feeding another rabbit's cecals. Not so sure about that. This is another one of those situations that the root cause of the problem needs to be found and corrected. Steady the ship. Don't over react and do too much. Doing too much is often worse than doing nothing at all.

Randy

I just filled his little water dish with it (and left his bottle of water too.) It just has extra electrolites to keep them from being dehydrated. It will not hurt your other bun to drink it. If anything, it might make him pee a little more.

How is Jackie feeling today?

Floppy is still the same, he is eating hay and tid bits of other things here and there so I'm not sure if I should step in with the critical care or nutrical ornot.

Randy,

I can't think of anything that has changed other than I did give him a grapevine wreath a day or two before it started but he didn't show any intrest in it so I took it out and gave it to Ruby to play with. She has been chewing the heck out of it and she is fine. Floppy is molting and I have been trying to keep most ofthe loose hair pulled off of him. This is only his 2nd real heavy molt, and he was uncomfortable last year but not to this degree.

He had a bite of real banana the day it started, which is a once a month (maybe less often) treat for them. It was maybe a 1/2" slice of banana cut in half and I gave them each a half.

I'll keep thinking on that. No new pellets or hay...Ibought red and green leaf lettace for them last week which they both had been eating. My store was out ofromaine so they were missing that in theirsalad.Butanything they had was eaten by both bunnies. Floppy isnot a big chewer, he has carpet pieces in his cage but has never shownany interest in chewing them.

As for all the remedys. The only thing I have given him is Simethecone (Thursdayonly) and canned pumpkin. I also offered him fresh mint today as was recommended on another thread, but he didn't touch it. I have brought up the other things I've been reading and that have been recommended to get input and opinions on them. Have not given him the petromalt.

Thanks for helping. I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes! I have good news to report, Floppy is feeling 100% better. He ate all of his food yesterday, drank his usual amount of water and plenty of :litterhealthy:!! I'm glad whatever this was passed and I hope it was just due to molting and not an underlying issue. I am so releaved, and actually slept through the night last night!:woohoo

Latest posts

Back