Spooked bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leowyldemi

Reaction score
Howie is suddenly very afraid of me, it's like how he was when i first brought him home, and i honestly don't know why he's acting so afraid of me now, i havn't changed any habits, i feed him at the regular time, i still talk and try to get him to play but now he runs to the far corner of the cage and hides, this has been going on all week and i don't know what spooked him.The only thing i can think of is because kishi shares his area, and maybe he smells her on me, but that doesn't make sense because i have had her for almost a month and there have been no incidents that i know of to scare him.

will i ever beable to recreate the bond we had , or is it broken forever?should i just take it slow like i did at the beginning and wait this out?

Also, where does he live? If he's outside, is it possible a predator came by and spooked him? If he's inside, did a roommate or family member scare him by moving too quickly or making loud noises? I had a terrible friend who once growled (like a dog--I think he was trying to be funny but it wasn') at my bunny at it made him very upset.

Howie's an inside bunny, but there is a set of windows near the cage, also my parakeet busters is beside him, kishi is a chinchilla we brought home in febuary, they seemed to get along for the most part, altho i'm careful to keep their playtime seperate,since she's so small and fragile.

my hubby is a big guy, and the amnimals are always a bit intimidated by him,but he doesn't go out of his way to scare them and always takes his time around them because he knows their afraid of him,my daughter is a bit hyper but she's always careful around the animals Kishi loves her and uses her as her personal jungle gym, so i doubt she would have done anything to scare howie,

could an animal outside have scared him through the window? we do have cats and i have seen the neighbor's dog loose in our yard a number of times

FWIW - Hershey does this now and then. The first time it really freaked me out and I even brought him to the vet (when I finally could catch him!). The vet found nothing wrong but thought maybe a hairball w/ some mild stasis.

Yup, soon there after he passed a bunch of hairy chains of poop! Once he got those outa his system he was back to normal! It's happened a few more times. Hershey gets real stand offish, then come the hairy chains, and then normalcy!

I would think an outside animal could be scary. It could also be him not feeling well, so keep an eye on his eating/output.

his eating and output is fine,i rearranged the house yesterday, both to get him a nice cool room for summer and to see if moving him to a more open area would calm him down, it seemed to work! his curiosity won out and he started exploring,he's still not cuddly, but he seemed to be coming around,so i'm crossing my fingers,i think because there were bushes outside the window, and often birds in themhe was getting spooked by something there, with a more open area and more light in the room he seemed to come out of his little shell :)

Did you carry any large objects (laundry basket, box, etc.) near him? Sometimes that can spook them because it changes your shape.

My little guy loves to sit by the window and look out. I don't know if all bunnies are like that, but he does it.

No no baskets,the only large boxes carted around were when we rearranged things, he seems much happier in the room he is in, he still has windows to look out of, but hopefulyy whatever spooked him won't be able to anymore, i felt so horrible tho:(

but he's coming around now, he was laying in my lap yesterday

:)

Latest posts

Back