Spinal injury

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pla725

Reaction score
One of my rescue friend's rabbits injuried himself last night. He became frantic and ran into the side of his x-pen injuring his back. He did go to a vet who prescribed metacam and limited activity. X-Rays were done but did not show anything. My friend took the bun to another vet because the bun was not able to relieve himself. She also saw the vet chiropractor. The new vet prescribed dexamethasone and prednisone and d/c'd the metacam. The first vet said the new meds are not safe for rabbits. Are these medications safe for rabbits? If so what is the usual dosage and length of time to take?

I am sending this post straight to Randy so hold on until we get a response ..
I have a feeling that he will agree with the first vet but we will see...

Hi,

Seen this many times. I have even had wild rabbits come in that were totally paralyzed in the hind quarter....and successfully treated them and they were released.

The use of steroids (Prednisone, Dex, etc.) is very controversial within the vet community. In my non-professional opinion, they lead to very little benefit and open up a host of side effects....especially in a rabbit. Ican't say that I would never usea steroid in a rabbit....but it would have to be an extreme situation.....a "Hail Mary" treatment if all else has failed. The idea behind using a steroid is to suppress the immune system to prevent the body from attacking itself. And when it suppresses the immune system, that opens the genie bottle in rabbits for pasteurella, EC and a host of other opportunistic nasties. It is becoming more obvious that steroids are not the way to go with head and/or spinal injuries....as a general rule. Again, in my non-professional opinion, I personally think the use of steroids in situations like this is outdated and consider it "old school".

My normal treatement protocol for spinal issues are confinement, an anti-inflammatory drug....usually Metacam (and that comes with some possible side effects but it's the lesser of the evils) and moderate sedaton usually with Valium. I also have no problems using a narcotic for the first few days for pain management.The idea is to reduce swelling which reduces pressure on the spinal cord. Recovery depends on the degree of damage to the spinal cord. If the cord is severely damaged by swelling or is severed, there will be no improvement. If the cord is being pressured by a luxated spine or by swelling, resolving those problems should result in some improvement.

I can give you much more detail if you would like and I am willing to consult with your vet regarding care (I am not a vet). If the x-rays are digital, see if your vet will send them. Looking at a rabbit spine is an "acquired taste" and will sometimes appear a bit different than other species for some reason. I can also send them to some of the vets that volunteer with my rescue....all are exotic experienced. If there is paresis in the hind quarter...there is something going on with the spinal cord....itust hasn't been seen yet....but something is pressuring the cord. Feel free to PM me for any questions you might have. Just keep in mind that recovery all depends on the cord damage.....but if there is any sensation in the lower extremities, there is hope for recovery. And I agree with the first vet, I would consider steroids to be contraindicated in this situation.

Randy

I'm going to forward this info to my friend. Also, I did encourage her to join this site.

The one vet is saying the Dex is okay short-term, the other is not thrilled.

I would go with the vet that isn't thrilled. Steroids are just not good for rabbits. I have a couple of bottles here that I don't use. I don't even use steroids in other species as we see spinals often in squirrels and opossums.

Yeah, I have heard of using steroids in buns, but only if a spinal cord injury leads to paralysis, again as a "hail mary." If the x-ray showed nothing, all she can do is stick with metacam and cage rest.

Oh dear. That's too bad. However, with your advice, pla725, I am sure she can give him a good quality of life. I bet we can help too, if she wants to come on the forum and ask for advice on how to keep him comfortable. There are a lot of owners with bunnies with mobility issues here.

Just wondering...did they get some good x-rays? We have had rabbits with fractured vertebra that did get some recovery. It all depends on the pressure/damage to the spinal cord.

Randy

Back