spaying my bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~*sAbRiNa*~

Reaction score
Hi I am new here, so I hope that I am posting in the right spot. My bunny Sabrina is approaching maturity and today I booked her appointment to get spayed. I know that it is the right thing to do but I am worried about the pain that she will be in and I am scared that she will die from the anesthetic. I know that this is a very routine procedure but I still worry about my little baby (she is my first rabbit).

Can you rabbit experts please give me some encouragement so that I know that she will be fine!

Thanks so much,
Lauren

I have had 4 of 5 bunnies spayed/ neutered (1 was neutered and healed before I got him). They all did fantastic.

If you are worried, you can get blood work done to see if there is anything to worry about. I would do it at least a few days before to give time for the results to come back. You would need to call you vet to see how long that sort of thing takes.

When you drop her off, ask about pain meds. Make sure you have some before you take her home. A spay may be routine, but it is still fairly major surgery for a rabbit.

Do not withhold food. Rabbits cannot vomit, so there is no risk of them vomiting and aspirating on it (the reason dogs and cats should be fasted the night before). Bring some pellets, hay and favourite veggies for her to nibble on when she wakes up.

Try to do something to keep you mind off the procedure. Go see a movie or go shopping or something you would enjoy.
The worst part is waiting for the phone call saying that everything is OK.

If your vet is experienced, it should go very well. I would ask how frequently they spay rabbits. We have a whole list of things to ask vets. Bloodwork is fine to do before. Make sure sure sure they send you home with pain meds--metacam at least, even better is tramadol. I'll hunt down the article when my internet is working better.

Hi Lauren,

You have hit a soft spot with me....my rescue is in honor of my very first rescue. She was a little blackHolland Lop we named Sabrina. She was with us for far too short a time. We didn't know what took her from us at the time.....but we know now and I have done a lot of work in finding a treatment for E Cuniculi. And the anniversary of her coming here is coming up.....on Halloween.

In the hands of a skilled and experienced rabbit vet, sedation is pretty routine these days. I have personally sedated wild rabbits (and they are much more delicate than domestics) that were only a couple of weeks old and weighed less than 45g (about an ounce and a half) successfully. Most vets still use Isoflorane but there is a newer inhalent known as Sevoflourane that is even safer. We also use injectables, considered unsafe just a couple of years ago, for more complex surgeries.

Your vet may want to do blood work. It does add some cost but it's worth it. Not only do you get to see if anything is going on now, the blood values will give you a reference point in case future issues come up. You should not remove food or water prior to surgery. Some vets ask that you remove pellets the morning of the procedure but she should still have hay and water available at all times. We provide a "buffet" of favorite foods immediately after surgery. Pain meds are a huge point to consider and discuss with your vet prior to the surgery. Some vets will tell you they give an injection that is all that is needed. That is not true and if your vet tells you that, I would reconsider that doctor. Some vets will use Metacam. It is certainly better then nothing, but doesn't provide appropriate pain control. Tramdol is an acceptable analgesic. Buprenorphine is the optimum choice. I plan for pain meds for up to 5 days. With the more aggressive Buprenex, we rarely go beyong 3 days. We also prefer laser surgery. There is debate in the veterinary world on laser and if it is worth the added cost. We have done many spays and we insist on laser spays. Less blood loss, neater incision and the final close is by internal sutures with tissue glue. No sutures to chew, pull out or pop. Lessens the risks of infection and allows quicker healing. And no "zipper" on the abdomen.

If you ever need any help with medical, behavior or nutrition issues or Sabrina....please let me know. If I should not happen to be online at the time, the Infirmary Mods know how to contact me directly.

Randy

Thanks for your advice and reassurance. I feel a lot better about things now and I have called the vet clinic back with more questions that you guys suggested!
I have one more question though, I am going to be going on vacation about 2 weeks after her surgery..is this cutting it too close? I just don't want her babysitter to have to worry about dealing with her healing issues. She will be 5 months at the time of her surgery can I do it earlier, or should I wait until I get back? The reason why I am doing it when I am is because I have 3 days off school and work in a row so I will be able to be with her pretty much 24/7 at that point.

Lauren

By two weeks, she should be back to normal. Most rabbits I have had spayed are back to normal routine within a week, and by two weeks you couldn't tell they had an operation besides the bald spot.

--Dawn

Back