Spaying jitters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
Im going to be making an appointment for Molly's spay tomorow and im anxious because the vet really seemed to not know alot about rabbits though she said she was rabbit savvy:mad:( yea right:X)! anyways is there anything I should be doing to prepare Molly? and what should I give her for pain when she returns home? I heard that baby asprin would be fine to give to her, I was also wondering if they give them antibiotics after the surgery to prevent infection???

:sigh:bunny5a worried

Luna

Not that I'm trying to further worry you, but maybe you should find a new vet if you are uncomfortable with this one. Gut instincts can often be quite accurate. A rabbit-savvy vet would most likely send you home with a prescription painkillers and probably some Baytril (antibiotic). I'm not sure what your vet told you, but DO NOT fast Molly before the surgery.

If the vet reccomended fasting, you should probably cancel and find a more rabbit savvy vet.

I completely agree...your gut instinct is most likely right. I wouldn't take her to a vet unless you KNOW she's going to do an expert job at this. If nothing else, it isn't fair to your Molly. I don't mean to sound harsh (at all), just trying to portray my feelings on the subject. I've called many places, asked dozens of questions, and finally settled on the place that treated Maisie when she was ill with GI Stasis and later on gas (and had eaten some plastic bristles off a handbroom) because she was an exclusive small animal vet (mostly rabbits), and has a great amount of knowledge about bunnies, and Maisie and I are comfortable with her. :)

If you don't feel the vet knows enough about rabbits, don't let her spay Molly. In rabbit owning, I trust 60% of it on my intincts, and 40% on logic and it's done me pretty well so far! I am a huge believer of trusting your gut feelings. If you don't feel 100% confident in the vet, I'd look for maybe another one that you do feel more comfortable with.

Im really glad to hear you guys say that becauseI don't think im comfortable at all letting this vet perform the surgery. Usually when it comes to matters with Molly she only gets the best, and everyone teases me about that. :mrsthumper::thumbup

It's very important that you find a vet who has done extensive rabbit spays. Try contacting a local rabbit rescue and find out who does their neutering.

Pam

Latest posts

Back