spayed this morn and not eating yet...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ariel got spayed this morning. She is a 4 month old Californian and weighed 7.2 pounds. She didnt eat at the vet and she hasnt ate or drank since she got home. Should I give her another couple hours to relax and try again later tonight? She is just sitting in the corner of her cage and is very sleepy. The vet gave her pain meds for tomorrow morning. I dont want to upset her by syringing her anything unless its necessary. So...should I be doing anything or should I give it another couple hours? Thanks

Yup, best to leave her be as long as she's kept warm. Their body temp drops with anesthetic. Maybe put in a sock full of warm rice or beans for her to cuddle with, or a 'snuggle safe' if you have one.

sas :clover:

I agree that warmth is good. Also, you might want to offer her some simpler food, like baby food or pumpkin puree. If she hasn't eaten or drank tomorrow, she needs to have something syringed into her. She may just need some time to relax.

I usually leave them alone the first day (in regard to food)but will syringe pedialyte if the rabbit is alert and not fighting it.

I usually will syringe pedialyte the first few days and feed greens , usually parlsey

wet greens on the 2nd or 3rd day will usually tempt even a bun that doesn't feel 100%

Not eating good for a few days is normal behavior.

hi,i had my 2 spayed 3 weeks ago and they didnt start eating until the day after and then they were both back to their normal selfs i just gave them plenty of food they like,but i know what your going through its a worrying time until they start eating.see how she is in the morning and then give the vet a ring if she hasnt eaten by dinner time but im sure she'l be ok.

How is the bunny?

For the record, not eating for 12 hours or so after the surgery can be normal, but 24 hours is an emergency. Also, the usual pain medications for rabbits MUST be taken with food and water.

sas :clover:

I would be very interestd in knowing what is being used for pain management. Anything short of a narcotic (Buprenex) or narcotic like drug (Tramadol) should be considered insufficient. Our spays are always eating shortly after surgery. We administer Buprenex for up to 3 days for neuters and up to 5 days for spays....but less than 3 is common.

Randy

I also have given simethicone to a bunny that did not want to eat after his neuter. It just took a couple of 1cc doses to get him back to normal.

She started drinking late last night, and she ate her lettuce and parsely this morning. I also saw she was eating hay. She looks to be on the up and up! This is the first time I've had a rabbit get spayed, so I just wanted to be sure I shouldnt be doing something for her...thanks for all the help!

That's good to hear! Hope the rest of the recovery goes smoothly.

Latest posts

Back