Spay Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieStixxxx

Reaction score
I have a litter of lionlop babies with me that are currently 4 weeks old, and I've booked their spay and neutering appointments along with mommy Savannah.

When boys are neutered, you must wait atleast 8 weeks to ensure no pregnancy can occur and the hormones have died down.

What about girls? It's there a set period time to ensure nothing will happen either?

Can I put the newly fixed girls and boys together, with a fixed mommy and no more babies will happen?

I don't want to separate the siblings, as I plan on having them grow up together. They also play with Spank ( who's bonded to Savannah, but is not the dad as he was fixed over two years ago ) and they play as one big family, and I'm hoping to bond them as a family of 6.

I'm sure someone with much more knowledge will answer this for you, but as far as i know there isnt a time period when they can still get pregnant (with a boy bunny he can still 'perform' even if he's neutered for a bit). But i think you will need to leave the girls a while to settle down. Because its invasive surgery, surely they'll be a bit sore and traumatised.. i'd say you may have to seperate them for at least a week, maybe 4 days if you don't want to wait. I'm not sure though.. just my thoughts!

You could technically put them together, but since the boys have hormones left, they might be sort of aggressive and the girls will be sore. I'd wait at least til they feel a bit better.

The girls aren't going to get pregnant because they remove the uterus, but I wouldn't recommend putting them with just-neutered boys because they are still somewhat amorous for a few weeks and will still try and hump. This tends to annoy and stress out the girl.

A friend of mine that runs Gainesville Rabbit Rescue recommends waiting for a month after a new momma stops nursing to do a spay. Also, four weeks old is way too young to spay/neuter bunnies.

What I have done in the past with my foster families, is get the boys neutered at the same time as the mom spayed. Then send the girls in a month or so later when they are ready. I kept them all together and it worked quite well.

Are you taking them to Arbutus West? They are the ones that have done all my spays/neuters, and are able to do the boys quite young.

Once the boys are about 8 weeks old, start checking their genitals everyday. You can get them done when the testicles start to drop, but haven't fully. If you can see them under the skin and push them up to the surface, then the vet can snip them out easily.

You could also get mom done first, then the boys a few weeks later and then the girls a few weeks after that. The most important is getting the mom fixed, as the boys will be able impregnate her way before they will their sisters. Girls mature more slowly then the boys, so it gives you a small window to do your neuters in if you want to keep them together.

--Dawn

I didn't mean to sound as if I were getting them fixed now, four weeks is much too young! I've booked their appointments for roughly 2 1/2 - 3 months from now.

I got Spank when he was only two months old, someone had stabbed him and thrown him out on the streets. When I got him, I remember having to look and feel down there everyday until I booked his neutering appointment. Spank went to Arbutus because he was fairly young at just under four months old at the time. And so I have been thinking of sending the buns to different vets: Sending Smudge and Simba to Arbutus. Savannah is going to UpJohn along with, who is think if the only female of the litter, Sylvia. And I think Ashley (Royce's owner, and daddy of the accidently litter) wanted to send Royce and Agent Orange to West Boulevard as that is her vet.

Thanks again Dawn.

I believe Labrador was done at Arbutus when he was three months old, but I didn't have him until he was 16 months old. VRRA has assured me that Arbutus is also great with younger boys - so it looks like Smudge, Simba, and Agent Orange will be going there in about 2 1/2 months. And Savannah and Sylvia will be going to UpJohn for their spays.. hopefully in the same week. And hopefully we can send Royce to West Boulevard soon when Ashley has the time.

Only two babies can fit in your nest box at a time! And we'll drive out to your place in about a month to return the nest box. I do apologize, for Savannah has done some damage. But like I promised - I will pay/replace a new one if it's bad.

Latest posts

Back