Spay and Dental in the same day?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaf

Reaction score
It's that time of the year again - vet checkups and revacc's for those that need it.

One of my rabbits needs some dental work and she is ready for a spay.

Usually with my cats/dogs - if dental work needs to be done I try to schedule it along with the alter, that way they're knocked out once and have one recovery periods for the S/N and dental work.

Can the same be done with safety for a rabbit? She has some tooth issues that will either require clipping OR possible removal.

Should I have her worked over all at once or schedule two seperate surgeries?

when i first thought about it i thought i would say sure why not , get k nocked out once is safer, but then i started thinking about the pain the rabbit might be in with a spay and dental. For something like that i might do it seperately

I totally understand why you would want it done at once but I personally wouldn't do it.

If it was a neuter I might consider it but usually with spays it takes a little longer for the female to feel like eating , drinking etc.

I am thinking of my bun, Beau, who just had a lot of teeth pulled ..he was in bad shape for several weeks.

Before you make a decision I would listen to experiences that others here have had.

I am just thinking of the female shelter buns after their spays and also thinking about the discomfort a bun has after dental work

If the dental work was minor that might be OK but I wouldn't want to further jeopardize the rabbit from wanting to eat and drink by doing it all at once.

As long as the rabbi is otherwise healthy and your vet is agreeable, then I don't see a problem. Our extremely rabbit-savvy vet will often recommend doing a spay/neuter along with another procedure to save our rescue money. She is really a blessing to us.

Weeeellllll, six isn't exactly old, but isn't young either. However, I'm willing to bet that she'd be okay, so long as she's managed properly post-op. Think about it- yes, she'll be feeling like crap on both ends, but what's better- getting it all done at once, managing her properly after surgery, or putting her through two separate procedures on two separate days with two separate doses of anesthesia, etc? I would do it at once.

I agree with Ivory. I think it's better to get it all out of the way at once. Just make sure they send you home with some pain meds, maybe something a little stronger than metecam.

Just something we sometimes use for dental surgeries- Banamine is pretty good for bunnies. I remember when Bentley had his teeth out- Banamine was the best we'd used for that sort of thing. He was eating within 24 hours. I mean, it's the stuff that lets horses with broken legs walk...it's good stuff. :)

It's rather unconventional, and kind of uncommon to hear of, but it's in a few rabbit books. Of course, other meds are quite effective as well.

Best of luck to your girl.

Luna had her spay and a molar grind done at the same time. She needed more than Metacam, but once she got Tramadol she was fine. Oh and she was 4 years old.

If the teeth need to be removed though, I might prefer to do the surgeries separate. What does the vet think?

We're going to do two seperate surgeries.

Since her weight is good (ok, maybe a bit high, but not bad) her teeth arent a huge issue now, so we're doing the spay first and then a dental.

While she's out for the spay she'll be evaluated more about her teeth and their issues.

Latest posts

Back