Sore Hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipcha

Reaction score
Last night we were looking our buns over and noticed that Buttercup has some extremely irritated looking hocks. As you can probably tell from her extremely yellow feet, she likes sitting in the litter box, is it possible that that could be causing the irritation on her hocks? We just use the wood pellets for the litter. I don't really know how to get her to stop, other then getting a grid and I don't really like that idea either...

I can't think of anything else that would be causing it. She's in a NIC cage and she has two dog beds that she also likes to sit on so she's on a soft surface most of the time, when she's not in the litter box.

I went out last night looking for Bag Balm as I read it's beneficial for sore hocks, but the best thing I could find was a cream called "Udderly Smooth" in Wal-Mart, so not as good but the best I can do right now. What I can I do to make her more comfortable? Anything else I can/should be using?

I think I'm going to go out and get her a thicker dog bed as well so she can have something softer to sit on. Hopefully it will be a little more comfortable.

396511_2907161354598_1127468202_33061646_135323171_n.jpg

Reddened areas can progress to lesions which may become infected with bacteria, so it might be a good idea to have the area checked by a vet. There are several things you can do to help prevent and heal sore hocks. Some vets recommend protecting the area with moleskin, or if the rabbit pulls that off, brush-on New Skin. I have used both with success.

There are also several creams and ointments that have been recommended by vets: Bactoderm, Neospoin (not Neosporin plus), Oxyfresh pet gel, and silvadene cream to name a few.

Although I usually see grids not recommended, personally i have had success using grids to prevent sore hocks in caes where the rabbit is either incontinent or likes sitting in the litter box.

If the skin is broken and bleeding, you should have a vet check them for infection.

They need to be cleaned, dried, and treated.

You can use a sterile saline solution to clean them.
Sterilizingthem with Betadine is recommended.
Don't use peroxide as it will interfere with the healing process.

Dry them really well (without irritating them further)

Then apply an ointment. I use Neosporin (NOT the pain formula!).

Once they've healed and the skin is not broken you can apply Bag Balm or Utterly Smooth to keep the skin conditioned.

Providing a soft flooring and litter pan are essential.
Try putting a layer of CareFresh or Comfy Cozy on top of the wood pellets. This works great for two of my buns that are prone to sore hocks.
Or you can try putting a plastic screen over the litter.....something like plastic craft canvas or the eggcrate covering from a light fixture.

Here's our library link on sore hocks....lottsa good info.....

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11953&forum_id=10

:pray:

Latest posts

Back