Sore Hocks Treatment

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabbitdad12

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, Barney my steel flemmie buck, developed sore hocks. He had soiled the piece of carpet I had in his cage for him and I had taken it out and replace it with a couple of smaller pieces.

When I was cleaning his cage out, I had noticed he had sore hocks. I hadapplied antibiotic ointment for a couple of days and then I have been putting Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream (thick pink stuff). It is doing great! His hocks are healing nicely, the tenderness is gone, he is out hopping around and moving about like normal.

Silly as it sounds, some antibiotic ointment and Mary Kay night cream is doing wonders.

Its non-toxic, contains bees wax and a lot safer then using Preparation H to reduce swelling. All it does issoften the sore area,keeps the raw skin from drying out and cracking while it heals, this reduces the swelling if present. It is quickly absorbed into the affected area, leaving nothing for the rabbit to ingest.

A very, very small amount is used, about the size of a BB.

Udderly Smooth® Udder Cream contains:

Deionized water, stearic acid, Peg-2 Stearate, propylene glycol, isopropyl myristate, dimethicone, lanolin oil, mineral oil, triethanolamine, allantoin, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance

Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream contains:

Ingredients:

Petrolatum , Mineral Oil , Paraffin , Beeswax , Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax , Hydrogenated Soy Glyceride , Fragrance , Stearic Acid , Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax , Butylparaben , Propylparaben , Menthol , Red 17

There's noproblem with using a little of the night cream. Every single ingredient in the night cream is an FDA approved food grade ingredient.

Pam

I used the Mary Kay night cream, because that is what I have used on my kids scrapes and cuts when they were little.

Just thought I woudl offer up another option, using something people might have readily available at home. When my wife sold Mary Kay cosmetics years ago, they had discontinued the night cream, but had to bring it back because people used in so many different applications and swore by its positive effects that the company brought it back.

Dave

Yep, that's a great tip.

Now, my question is; Doesn't the petroleum in the antibiotic ointment help to keep their skin softer there? or shouldn't it?

Bo is really funny and will let me put his ointment on now but LOVES that I keep a soft fleecy blankie in one side of his litterbox. He knows to stand on it and pee to one corner and poo to the other corner! Sometimes it gets a stray poo or some pee but I just take it out and wash it and put another one in. He's very spoiled!

I LOVE that night cream - its awesome stuff and doesn't have the smell of bag balm (which doesn't have a super bad smell).

I'll have to remember that...thanks! I'm out of it.

Latest posts

Back