Sore Hock??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyLove

Reaction score
I noticed this on Pepper's foot today. Is this a sore hock? He does not at all spend time on a wire floor... The area just appears to be missing fur, it is not swollen or red... does anyone have suggestions on what this is? This is the only spot, on the heel - and only on the one foot. Thanks.

pepperfoot002.jpg

pepperfoot001.jpg

FuzzyLove

Yep, that's a sore hock, which is actually a pressure sore. The main worry with sore hocks is infection and depth. A severe sore hock will bleed and can go all the way to the bone, damaging muscle and tendons as well as the bone. Infection is a real concern in these cases. However, Pepper's does not look that bad, from what I can tell in the picture. If it looks abraded, like it's about to bleed you can put a triple action antibiotic ointment on it (like Neosporin) 2 - 3 times a day, if you can. Some people use Preparation H on sore hocks or Bag Balm.

Keep the nails trimmed. Long nails make the rabbit lean back more, which increases the pressure on the hocks.

Keep the weight down. Pepper doesn't look chubby to me, though.

Exercise also helps to get blood and nutrients to the effected area as well as keep the weight down.

Carpet can be very abrasive on rabbit feet. You may try lining his "lounge area" with fake sheep skin.

I'm sure others will be able to give you more information. Sore hocks are not uncommon.

Yeah, that's indeed sore hocks. Flick pretty much covered everything. (Good job) So just keep puttingNeosporin on it everyday and keep an eye on Pepper's foot.

And in his wire cage, maybe put like easy matts (or stomping pads, resting mats. they have all different names) so then when he is in there he has something to be on other than the wire.

Karlee

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to just add that Pepper NEVER spends any time on wire flooring - he has a cage with a plastic bottom, an then on his second level has carpet - which may be the problem (thanks flick!)

It does not look like it's about the bleed... but should I still wrap it up? Right now, I took him out of his cage and am letting him run around in his rabbit-proof room.

Thanks for the suggestions... boy am I glad I caught this early!

FuzzyLove

At this stage, I would not wrap his hocks. The wraps can cause more problems than they'd help IF the rabbit will leave it on.

Pixel has had sore hocks forEVER! She's half English Lop and half Mini Rex, so she's prone to sore hocks from both DNA pools. We had to wrap her hocks when one got so bad it bled all over the vet! The wraps developed sores on her "ankles". We couldn't win for losing. We even took a "casting" of her feet and tried to make bunny booties for her. We have to settle for naked pink hocks, but no open wounds. That's the best we can get them. We would be THRILLED if they looked as good as Pepper's hock.

You're doing good! :)

FuzzyLove wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I wanted to just add that Pepper NEVER spends any time on wire flooring - he has a cage with a plastic bottom, an then on his second level has carpet - which may be the problem (thanks flick!)

I'm sorry FuzzyLove. Oops, I mis-read your sentence about him being on wire. Sorry. :baghead

But also, if he has shavings in his cages, than he can still get sore hocks. Like fromstomping on shavings that have pee on them. Because rabbits are able to get sore hocks from stomping on wet shavings or wet hutch floors.

Karlee

My last bun had them from previous to me having her (a mini rex) and my current holland lop has them from what I believe to be previous to me as well. I would just provide different flooring areas (carpet, tile, etc.) and apply Neosporin regularly. It should help.:)

I've heard Bag Balm is also good. I think you can get it at some drug stores, but probably also at feed/farm stores.

The pictures really don't look bad. Oberon has similar looking calluses on his feet. He's such a big boy and he has a somewhat lighter bone frame than his breed normally does. I leave them alone as long as they don't get worse. They were inflamed and bled slightly when I got him, likely because he was kept in a small cage 24/7 at the shelter. Bag Balm + Neosporin healed him up quickly.

You can get Bag Balm at many Walmarts in the dog medication section. It's great for sore dog foot pads. My friend uses it all winter for his dog.

Bo's get better and then worse again. Most of the time his are just calluses.

How's your bunner doing?

Flash has a sore hock and I've been putting Bag Balm on it and it was never bad or bleeding. I showed my vet when he was there for his cold and he said it wasn't bad. He has free run of the place so I know it's from the remnant rugs, his nails are always clipped and gets alot of exercise. Just keep an eye on it.

In the 'Ailment photos needed' thread I posted pictures of Yofi's sore hocks. His are at a stage where it's probably painful. I made the mistake of treating him and then stopping, thinking they were clearing up well on their own...then it flared up again only worse. So I've been treating him with polysporin and bag balm (and sometimes prep-h as well), after I've washed and dried his feet. I'm doing this twice a day and it does seem to be helping them once again...this time I'm going to continue until I'm sure he's okay.

Your bunny's feet don't look bad at all, but it's great that you're watching them and catching it before it does get a chance to develop. :)

Latest posts

Back