Sore hock help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shainabee

Reaction score
Miley has recently become calm enough to let me cradle her like a baby and today i was scanning her feet and body and I found a spot on one of her feet a little smaller than a dime, red - no fur and it's a sore hock.

Her cage is linoleum and carpet, she is an avid thumper though when she doesn't get her way. Miley is a 4 month old french lop, I know large breeds are prone to sore hocks but she isn't large yet haha I'm so worried about her. I don't know what I should do first for her.

Currently she is risiding at work with me which puts her in a "doggie suite" (i work at a dog boarding facility) that is concrete but I have her blankets and rugs in there with her and Clyde.

What do I do?
What do I put on her poor wittle feetsies?
:( :( :(

& & I forgot. I cannot see the red area unless I finger through the hair on her feet. It isn't visible unless I move all the hair away.

I just took a second look and I exaggerated :(
It's probably the size of HALF OF A DIME.

It sounds like the beginning of a sore hock, or a healing one. It's pretty common to have to go looking for it through the foot fur. Some bunnies are just more prone to them due to the way their feet and legs are shaped. The rule is "Pododermatitis has many causes, from skeletal deformities to the floor the rabbit is housed on." When they say skeletal deformities, they don't mean anything really drastic, it's just like the difference between people who have pigeon toes and normal feet, IYKWIM.

Does she sit in wet litter at all? Is the carpet soft or industrial-like? I like to have a grate over the litter to keep feet clean and happy. Another option is putting down some rags/towels in her pen to cover the linoleum.

I treat sore hocks with Udderly Smooth, a cream originally designed to clean and moisturize cow udders (I do live in WI, so cows are a big deal), but it has become a staple at many drug stores and grocery stores as a hand cream for people. I love it for my hands. There are other types of udder creams that work well too, if you can find one. If not, triple antibiotic ointment without pain killer in it (like neosporin) works too, just not as well in my opinion.

First thing I always check is to see if their nails need clipping. If they're a bit too long they can change the way the bun rests on their hocks and can cause sores.

Bag Balm is a great product to treat & condition hocks. It's something like Utterly Smooth.

No, she doesn't sit in her litter at all. Just to poo and pee - she won't eat her hay while sitting in it. She only eats her hay from the outside. She's a weirdo.

I guess if anything it must of been her carpet, I didn't even think and bought outdoor carpet so it isn't the softest but that was just so it was easier to clean during potty training.

I trim her nails every 2 weeks so that isn't it. I keep those suckers trimmed! haha because sometime she likes to use me as a jumping spot and push off of me to help her get higher.

I live in Fl, so we're all about them oranges haha. I will try looking around for either Bag balm or utterly smooth, utterly smooth sounds SO familiar but idk why.

Thank you!

Preparation H clears it up real fast too. Doesn't sound much like sore hocks to me though, just sounds like a callus like we get on our feet. Keep an eye on it, but as long as it's covered by a layer of fur it should be ok. :)

Sore hocks is in an area where the fur is totally rubbed off and there is an open sore.

I've had buns with hocks. Sometimes, if they're old, you can't take them away with meds or treatment. Just keep nails trimmed and area clean.

I agree with using the hemmoroid cream on it. That should help.;)

Sometimes they won't go away and they have to live with them, but fur grows over and it's fine.:)

Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back