Sophia is sick - probably just gas - but still worried

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
A little bit ago I was sitting on the floor and reached over to pet Sophia and noticed that her ears were really REALLY cool. I had been hearing gurgling noises and been asking her if it was her (in a teasing way) or if it was me - or maybe Nyx since she was also nearby.

But then I realized - it was her tummy gurgling - especially when she got up to drink some water.

I held her in my lap for several minutes and just petted her and loved on her - and she didn't fight to get out of my lap at all (normally after a few pets - she wants to get down and lay beside me and get pets). She just huddled into my lap.

So I looked at her food - she ate a little bit last night - not nearly as much as normal and only had about 1/4 - 1/2 of her normal poops.

I'm about to go clean out the recliner (laundry) and lay in there with her and offer her some parsley along with gas meds and see if she starts feeling better. Right now - all she wants to do is be held and snuggle.

Her ears did warm up while she was in my lap and so I'm thinking she's doing ok and I'm just being paranoid.

[line]- Location SW Texas

- Description (Breed, color., weight) Light grey flemish - 12 1/2 pounds

- Age 8 1/2 months old

- spayed/neutered? no

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? less poops last night
- When did they last use their litterbox? this morning/last night
- Any unusual behavior? a bit quieter than usual

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? no

- Diet - what does your bunny eat? last night
- when and what did s/he eat last? pellet mixture (same as usual) and 1/5 banana

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? Now that I'm typing this up - she came out to look for me and is hopping around and chinning things

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? NOPE

- has the rabbit been outdoors?Yes - on Saturday and she did eat some grass - but she seemed fine yesterday (we don't treat our yard with chemicals)

Simethicone? 1mL/hr for 3hrs? When I hear gurgling the first thing I think is gas. You can also do the "water bottle" test to see if she has enteritis--they sound like a half-full water bottle if you shake them (gently) if they have enteritis.

Shake a 12 pound rabbit gently...hmmm...should be interesting.

Right now she's looking around a bit so I'm going to let her be - when she stops though I'll grab her and nap with her and see how she does.

She's normally sweet and affectionate but today she was like, "oh mama...hold me...that feels so good".

Her tummy felt a bit bloated - not like bloat - just...like she's gassy.

Latest posts

Back