Soon-to-be first time owner! - Questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pocketsizedrhino

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently preparing for a new addition to my pet family and have some questions.

The bunny in question is a female mini rex and is still young.

1. How big should the C&C cage be (panel-wise)? I was thinking 3x3 and 2 high. If I have one shelf will I have to make it 3 high? What kind of flooring do you prefer... coroplast/big rug/linoleum?
2. Food? Is Oxbow the best?
3. Timothy hay, orchard grass.. what kind? Where is the best place to get hay? Is it okay to switch to different types of hay every now and then for variety or can that cause stasis?
4. How much should be in a rabbit's vet fund?
5. 4-6 months is the best age to spay, correct?
6. What would you say your estimated monthly cost is? I was thinking $30/mo, but more wouldn't be a problem.

Thank you all in advance for your replies! :)

:welcome1 Congrats on your new bunny! :biggrin2:I'm new to bunnies and don't know alot but I'm learning from being on RO.

I feed my bunnies Oxbow Pellets and Hay. My vet said it was the best. He also said he could spay my bunny around 4 months or so(the female). I probably spend $30-50 a month on the 2 baby buns.

I'll let the experts fill you in the rest of the way. Just wanted to say Welcome. And see you around RO.

:sunshine:April

Hi there, welcome to the forum! Hopefully you just adore the wonderful world of bunnies.. I know I do!

A 3x3 is a great size.. but if you can expand, by all means do. That's the positive thing about them, you can always add on! I'm constantly changing my layouts around.

Oxbow is a good brand that a lot of people use. There are others though such as Sweet Meadow that gets good reviews as well.

A mixture of hay is good, doesn't really matter between the types as long as they are grass hays (blue grass, brome, oat, etc. also). You may also consider switching up the hay types for a change to see if your rabbits like one type better and also that the different textures help wear down their teeth better. A variety is great! If you feed alfalfa, use it only as a treat and sparingly since it is high in protien.

A $200 or so vet fund is reasonable to have, though you can always give or take a bit. As long as you have some set aside or have the financial means to pay for something if it arises, should be alright.

Depending on the breed, but usually that is around the time for spaying. If it is a larger breed, some vets like to wait a little bit longer to make sure they are mature enough and that they are developed enough to perform the procedure.

My monthly costs are actually quite low, especially during the summer where I can feed stuff from outdoors (blackberry leaves, stems, grass, grape vines/leaves, etc). Surprisingly, vegetables are my highest cost. I spend about $10 a week on vegetables for 5 bunnies, but you could easily manage the $10 worth to last for more with only one. Pellets for $18 usually last me a month and a half Then hay is only $16 and lasts atleast 2 months. A 40lb bag of wood pellets lasts me a month (with sifting to reduce waste). So by my costs (divided by 5, since I have 5 guys) would be about $15 a bunny! Not too bad! I do feed a considerable amount of greens from outdoors and get vegetables cheap at produce markets, so it does help. Try to buy from produce markets and feed stores, will help cut your costs.

Congrats on your new bun. I have a mini rex and they are awesome. Such great personalities.

I am not sure what a C&C cage is so I am not sure about the panel size. If they are like NIC cage panels. I think a 3x3 would be fine. If it was me I would probably do atleast a 4x3 though. Is the cage going to have a top? If not I would make it higher. When the bun gets on the second level she could jump out. What I did was put the cage in a corner and the 2nd level in the corner so the walls make it high enough that she can't or atleast hasn't jumped out.

I prefer carpet flooring. When I was litter training the bunnies I would just take it outside and hose it off. I think I may be in the minority though that prefers carpet. Until your bun is litter trained I would put something between the buns carpet and your carpet to keep any urine from getting on your carpet. I just bought cheap carpet pieces from either Walmart or Lowes.

My buns don't eat pellets so I can't help there. I will look in the library though and get some threads that might help you.

I am not sure I am the right person to answer about vet bills. My mini rex has had some health issues. In the last year I have spent several thousand on vet bills.

I mix Timothy, Orchard, Meadow together so they get a variety all the time. If you feed them one hay all the time I would just make sure if you want to offer another you offer both until you learn the buns preferences. Mine really don't care for Orchard.

I think for spaying it will depend on the vet but I think most prefer to do it around 6 months.

My buns only get veggies, no pellets. So my monthly cost is higher but I spend about $150. About $100 of that is just on veggies. But again I think my costs are higher then most because one of my buns can only have veggies and a lot of veggies. I think it will also depend on what you buy. What type of litter are you going to use? I found it cheaper to buy bulk hay online then at the pet store.

Sounds like you are really thinking about your bun and taking good care of her. Here are some links that might help you.

Feeding your rabbit
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12046&forum_id=17

Cages-with examples
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11792&forum_id=17

Vet costs
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=15015&forum_id=17

Hay
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12059&forum_id=17

All these threads came from the Lagomorph Library- Bunny 101 If you want to look up some other stuff and need help finding it let me know. I know I was a member of the boards for awhile before I found it.

Thank you for the great information!! I may end up doing 3x4 but I will be moving into a new apartment in a month and need to see what space I have once that happens. She will be able to run free in my bedroom (maybe the whole apartment!).

I have 3 rats so I already share my veggies with them, buy bedding/litter, pay vet bills and make fleece cozy things. I'm sure that will make having a bunny easy to get used to!

I'll check out the Sweet Meadow brand. I plan on taking her for a health exam so I can talk to my vet more about her spay then. She has neutered two of my rats and her tech has a bunny of her own so I'm very comfortable with their clinic already.

I suppose I should post a picture of the fluff ball in question!
I called my vet today and she does rabbit spays for $90!

2rwxoax.jpg

Does she look like a mini rex or not? Her ears seem too long for a mini. She came from a bad situation. The lady who bred them transported them in a tied up burlap sack where they were filthy and panting from the heat. Considering that... I don't have much faith in how truthful the facts she gave were. She said this girl was born on 4/23, making her not 7 weeks yet (I hope she doesn't miss mommy too bad..). :cry2 She also said that the mother was the size of a bag of sugar and the father a bit smaller. I don't care how big she ends up I'm just glad she isn't with that lady anymore. If only I had met her I would have wanted to slap her!

Oh my goodness! That's horrible! :( Poor thing. People have absolutely no sense of compassion sometimes.
She could be a rex rather than a mini rex. She does have that 'rex' look too her. Usually the standard rexes have the longer ears. Feel free to post her picture in the rabbitry for input on her possible breed!

She reminds me of my Jasmine :). Who is a rex cross (doesn't have that velvety fur though!)
Aug21022.jpg

Aw, they do look alike! I love the nose dots! It looks like she carefully painted her face. I think I will post her picture in the rabbitry section. I haven't explored over there yet!

awwwe glad she is out of that bad situation. that does not sound good at all!

she is gorgeous! I love white bunnies with dark ears and spots... have you thought about names yet?

I don't think there's much point me talking about prices that I pay because I'm in a different country etc etc but good on you for doing your research. it is a very smart idea. let us know when you get her!

I'm thinking about naming her Luna. That's the only name that has clicked with me so far but we'll see if it sticks once I bring her home on Monday. Tomorrow is rabbit shopping day!!

how exciting! only one more sleep to go... is that right? the time zone thing confuses me!

we'd love to hear how she settles in and discuss names etc :)

gosh she sure is cute. tomorrow will be a fun day for you!

I got food and hay on Sunday but everywhere was somehow sold out of NIC panels!! I had to drive a half hour away to the next big town today after work to get some at Bed Bath and Beyond. ..and they only had one box left. People must be college shopping or something. :? I was planning on getting two boxes but for now she is dealing with a 2x2 in a diamond shape until I can pick up another box of panels. It is bigger than what she was living in, anyway. She is such an eater!! I might be used to my rats just eating a little now and then because they don't graze like this. She jumps from food dish to her litter box for hay, lays down in there for a bit, and hops back out for some more food... then repeats the process.

I think my favorite thing is watching her delicately lick her paws and clean her face, then pull down her ears one at a time. :inlove:

bf5qxd.jpg

zsvhjp.jpg

She slips on the linoleum a bit if she is trying to balance to groom or stretch. I'm going to make her a bigger rug to help with that!

Aww cute! Definitely looks like she is settling in :).

If you want to avoid her slipping, you can always put a fleece blanket down on the bottom.. that's what I do over the tile for my guys who have sensitive feet/don't like the tile.

Congrats on your new little one!

pocketsizedrhino wrote:
I got food and hay on Sunday but everywhere was somehow sold out of NIC panels!! I had to drive a half hour away to the next big town today after work to get some at Bed Bath and Beyond. ..and they only had one box left. People must be college shopping or something. :? I was planning on getting two boxes but for now she is dealing with a 2x2 in a diamond shape until I can pick up another box of panels. It is bigger than what she was living in, anyway. She is such an eater!! I might be used to my rats just eating a little now and then because they don't graze like this. She jumps from food dish to her litter box for hay, lays down in there for a bit, and hops back out for some more food... then repeats the process.

I think my favorite thing is watching her delicately lick her paws and clean her face, then pull down her ears one at a time. :inlove:

bf5qxd.jpg

zsvhjp.jpg

She slips on the linoleum a bit if she is trying to balance to groom or stretch. I'm going to make her a bigger rug to help with that!
Congrats on your new best friend! This looks like a great setup.

I noticed in the pics though that there is a set of lights near the cage and that the cord seems to be within reach of bunny's ever active teeth! You may want to move that cord out of the way. Buns are NOTORIOUS for liking to chew on cords and if it's plugged in she could get a pretty nasty shock, or worse!

Otherwise: food, hay, water, blankie, litter, love, love, love......lucky bunny!

I know the cord looks close in the picture but it is a good distance away. I'm all too used to my rat's chewing hobby, and after losing a jacket to them I'm incredibly careful!

I still don't have the perfect name for her, so she is bunbuns for now. She is getting friendlier every day and coming toward my hand for pets now. :D She is playing with an empty box I gave her right now. Hehe.

Hi :)

Your new bunnyy is just awesome ..very cute
if you click on the forum and scroll down to the library there are tons of articles on feeding , cages, exercise , health etc.

believe me if you stay here you will become an expert yourself . We have info here on almost anything you need to know about your new bun

plus we are fun :p

Maureen

looks and sounds like she is doing great settling in! and sounds like she is starting to trust you... which is always good :)

keep up the good work. and show us more photos when you can hehe

Gorgeous little Rex. If you want to keep her from slipping while she's running or grooming, open up a cardboard box and place it on top of the linoleum. They can dig it, chew it and generally have a good time. When it's too worn or dirty, you throw it out and start all over with a new box. Our bunnies love cardboard and boxes are one of their favorite chews.

Latest posts

Back