Something may be wrong with Bruce (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of Bruce, I just lost a rabbit today too, so I know how you feel. Maybe if you'd like someone to talk to, I'd be happy to lend a ear.

Its really hard for me to deal with the loss of Bruce....I think shortly after Tiny died you posted a picture of him - and so many people contacted me and said how much he looked like Tiny (and they wondered if I was ok).

Truly - I always wished for more pictures of him....it was almost like a chance to see "my boy" even though he wasn't mine - but yours. I still can't get over how much they looked alike.

I'm heartbroken for you - and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much, all of you.

I'm having a hard time with this. I can't even go into the room his pen was in, let alone take it down. (I have to go in there though, because my ferrets live in there, but it is hard.)
I'm going to post a proper thread in the rainbow bridge section, but I'm just not ready.
I want to just tell you guys what happened, since you've all been so helpful.

I took him to my work, and he was diagnosed with snuffles. We were trying to get a hold of an exotic vet at one of our other hospitals to ask about Baytril injections, etc. and basically if they recommended anything else aside from oral baytril.
He had a temp of 103.8, so we talked about doing fluids.
I was going to take him home on my lunch break (noon, so two hours after I got there), as he seemed agitated.
I was holding him and he seemed to calm down a little, but I was supposed to be working, so I went to see a client and I asked Dalila to put a towel over his cage door to maybe calm him down.
When I came out of the room and went and lifted the towel and he was laying down shaking. I screamed for the doctor and opened the cage. We grabbed him as fast as we could and gave him oxygen, but it was too late.

We're wondering if it was the stress of the hospital and being sick. But he was neutered, and stayed at the vet for 6 hours before.
Or we're wondering if he had an underlying problem we just didn't know about.

Tinysmom, I'll post more pictures in the rainbow bridge and I thought about you when he died actually. I know some people were worried when I posted that picture and I felt bad, but I honestly didn't mean to hurt you (if it did at all) or anyone else. That is my favorite picture of him. I have it framed and hanging above his pen.

I suppose he could have been hiding a Upper Respiratory Infection (URI), but I doubt it, I think he would have had more symptoms earlier on.

Is it too late for a necropsy? They could use the education.

The stress of the vet visit wouldn't have been the problem, either. I'd put my money on an underlying issue -- a hidden infection somewhere that went systemic, or a genetic heart or neurological issue or something. He was pretty young, but maybe liver disease...

So very sorry.

sas :sad:

I'm so sorry for what you're going through.

There is no right nor wrong way to grieve. If you want to post a through in RB, then post it when you are ready and it feels right for you. Going into the room where a lost bun has lived can definitely be very hard, so try not to expect too much of yourself. This is all very fresh, but the intensity of the pain and loss does ease with time, acceptance and probably a lot of tears.

Make sure you're looking after yourself.

Back