Something is wrong with BunBun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
I was cuddling BunBun and flipped him over to check his nails and noticed his genitals looked, well, strange! All up one side of the part where he penis emerges (along the fold of the scent gland) it's all swollen. It looks like it's filled with a clear liquid and it's soft and squishy. The glands them self are clean and there are no injury or bite marks, nothing like that.

The best way I can describe it is that it looks like a giant blister like what you'd get from wearing new shoes and going for a long walk.

He seems to be in no pain, he didn't mind me touching it at all and started to go to sleep. He was running around today as per usual, doing binkies and jumping.

It's going to be a mission getting a vet appointment for a Saturday, as it's Friday evening here right now :(, I'm not even sure the vet opens on a Saturday. So it might not be till Monday when I can get it looked at.

Anyone got any idea what it could be, or seen this happen with their own rabbit?

Hmmm..i have no idea what could be wrong with Bunbun, Michelle!

I've never experienced anything like that with my boys before, soi'm curious to know what it could be as well

Hopefully someone elsewill have some sort of an idea

cheryl

it could be hutch burn, does he sit in a litter box or in soiled hay/bedding at all?

he could have simply injured it (i am sure it wouldn't take much to injure a sensitive spot like that)

is the blister clear? does he have acess to other rabbits?

when i first got winnie, she had a bunny std (got it from her mom) and had small black blisters on her private parts, she was treated, along with the rest of the litter, the mom, the dad, and any doe the dad was in contact with. . .it *might* be something of that nature????

hopefully someone with more rabbit med experiance will give you a better idea that what i could!

Hello, thanks for the replies Cheryl and Katt :).

He doesn't sit in his litter tray, barely even uses it. He has a large hutch with woven grass matting and a shelf with carpet on it, and spends most of the day outside the hutch and in the run (it's all grass, a tunnel, some cardboard boxes to play with etc). I clean the litter tray each day and make sure the hutch is clean. It's pretty big, he has plenty of room to go sit else ware if one area is messy.

He's been bonded to another rabbit for a few months now, called Lucky, both are desexed and BunBun has been neutered for approx 5 months. I have one new rabbit who is an adult male, entire, but they haven't been close to each other. This just happened overnight :(. A horse loving friend said he may have a seed or something stuck 'up there'. It's a clear area, no external signs of injury, no redness, just a large (about an inch by 1/4 of an inch) blister. Glands are clean, bottom is clean, so signs of urine burn.

It's getting very late at night now but I will post a picture up first thing in the morning.

The only different activity I have seen with him and Lucky is that she has been humping his face every now and then. The other males genitals are clear and clean...I should check Lucky's too.

Wish me luck getting a vet appointment. I'm so worried :?.

Edited to add pictures.
DSC07614.jpg

DSC07608.jpg

2%3CWBR%3E.jpg

Hmm,maybe it's some kind of infection,like you said,something could have gotten stuck there

I think i would take him to a vet,just so you know exactly what is wrong

keep us updated on the little guy!

cheryl

I have no idea what that is. Other than graphic, LOL!:blushan:

I always feel so silly looking down there, although it does need to be done.

Hopefully the vet can figure it out. Is there no chance of an appointment before Monday?

i would keep my eye on it, and get him into the vet.

i think that your right and something got stuck up there and possibly infected, i would make sure that whatever is in his cage, can't snag him down there because i am sure that if that popped it would be even more pain.

katie

Ooh the shame!:blushan: How could you do this to the poor boy? How will he ever live it down!?!;):lol

I haven't a clue when it comes to things like this, but I hope it's something simple and BunBun is ok!:pray: Keep us posted:)

I always feel a bit embarrassed too, for the rabbits sake anyway, plastering pictures of private parts on the net :). Not long ago he had his bits all over an email when I was trying to show someone the difference between male and female rabbits.

I am cautiously optomistic this morning as it's looking a lot better, it's not as puffy as it was last night. He's still got a huge appetite, he's not licking the area or having trouble peeing, he isn't sitting around looking sore or moody.

I gently felt around and applied light pressure to the area to feel for any foreign objects, I didn't feel anything. He has a vet appointment first thing Monday morning, I called my vets mobile and she said that it doesn't sound like an emergency so Monday should be ok but to call her immediatly if he gets worse or I just don't feel right waiting till Monday.

It's funny too, having a pet ill or something wrong with them...you find yourself gazing at them thinking just how **** beautiful they really are and getting the warm fuzzies :hearts. I keep telling him how gorgeous he is :hug:.

Ok Charlie had something EXACTLY like that a while ago - and I posted about it all nervous, and within a day and a 1/2 - as I was about to go into the vets, it was gone. No sign of it - he was never in pain, never acted any differently.

The only think I could figure was that Charlie (who was NOT neutered at the time) made of habit of chasing Misty around the room really um.. turned on... This was also around the time that he had pin worms and I think when he became "un-turned on", a pin worm (or maybe a scrap of hay) or somethinggot caught in there and it got swollen.

*shrug*

Let me know what it is if you take him into the vets!

Yes, 'ew' but it's important to post pictures and be on the safe side, in case someone can help me :). Anyway we've all been there and seen that area before so no shame in it :D.

I am pleased to report that he looks fine, like you said Nadia it just went away by itself. I have his vet appointment in about 2 hours so I'll still take him anyway just to be sure. I can't imagine he's been humping anything but you never know with boys!

Thanks everyone :hug:

Glad to hear that BunBun is fine!

cheryl

He's back from the vet, I had my grandma take him as I had to wait at home for someone to come and fix a broken window. Not just the glass but the wood shattered too so I've had a gaping hole in the front of the house for a few days now :shock:.

BunBun is fine and dandy and she couldn't even see where anything had gone wrong 'down there', no sign of the blister or what may have caused it. He's in good shape and he is very glad to be home. The vet sent a note home with him saying how cute he is and I thought that was really nice.

another idea of what it was- this is kinda far out there- but one summer we had a terrible spider problem at my house (i live in a 150 year old farm house that is being renovated, so lots of little critters have been showing their faces) and with the bites, i wouldn't ich or anything but just get a blister. . .i ended up have about 5 of these this in one summer. . .as long as the blister didn't pop open, i had no scar from it (1 did and it looks like someone burned me with a cigar on my shoulder now. . .)

could it have been a bite from something? i know that is totally far out there. . .but the idea of a blister just made me think of it. . .

Latest posts

Back