Something is wrong with Anakin..:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovinLops

Reaction score
Anakin will be three months on the 19th. Since the day I got him, he hasn't hopped right. I thought maybe he was just weak still and knew he didn't have much time to run, but I let him out to exercise all the time and it isn't getting better. He has feeling in his back legs, that much I'm sure of. He just kind of scoots around, but his back is low to the ground and his feet slip a little. When he's happy he does a little binky, but the land isn't graceful. He's eating and drinking fine, likes to be pet, is litter trained, and seems to be in no pain. I called the breeder I got him from today and asked if she knew anything. She said no, but I'm not convinced. She was VERY quick to offer me a replacement. I do not want a new bunny, I just want mine to be healthy. I know a vet is my best option and plan on taking him in. Since I got him in this condition, do you think it would be wrong to ask the breeder to pay the vet bills? And do you have any idea of what his condition could be? Please help, I'm realy worried, all feedback is appreciated.

I feel so stupid for not discussing that with the breeder before Ani was purchased. I was just so excited.. I don't think he has splay leg, his legs go straight back. The breeder said that some of her bunnies died of heat stroke the day before I got Anakin, because we experienced a heat wave. Apparently, she was attempting to move them to her basement and some died before she could move them..:(. Do you think this could be a result of heat stroke?

Can you explain better? His legs are always behind him or just when he loses his footing ? What type of flooring do you have? Does he walk/ drag himself the same way inside AND outside of his cage the same way or does it change?Does he or CAN he sit straight up on just his back legs? Any chance you can get a picture or video of this?

I ask because our house has hardwood floors and my rabbits walk differently on them. more like a dog walk than a rabbit walk and Sometimes they loose their footing and their legs slide when they get too excited but it doesn't seem to bother them. without more detail its hard to give ideas on what might be wrong. One main thing is if he ALWAYS OR JUST SOMETIMES walks/hops this way.

Made a YouTube account, but my phone isn't successfully uploading my videos. I will absolutely find a way to upload today. I have carpeted floors, and his hop is always just about the same, in and out of his cage. Sometimes his back feet move together better and are tucked more, but his back is still kind of sunken. Usually his feet drag behind and he doesn't pull them up til he has to. He can sit with his back rounded, but seems to prefer being stretched out like my avatar picture shows. And as far as sitting up goes, he doesnt seem to be able to.

A little the members who are more experienced will be able to give you more insight once you get the video up. Sometimes you can spot things that are too difficult to describe correctly. Your eyes convey the information better than trying to picture it from words.

If he's got the same issue on different surfaces then is likely a medical issue (old injury, deformed bone etc.) But doesn't mean he will necessarily need surgery or anything. I have heard of issues similar to this with a few different illnesses but haven't had personal experience with them.

From the fact he doesn't seem to be in pain and is happy you may just have to modify his surrounding ( cage height etc.) To accommodate your special bun. The video will really help though as far as suggestions to what it might be. A vet visit is also a good idea as he may need medication.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpW6x1-_AsQ&feature=plcp[/ame]. Should be a link to a video of Anakin. Watch and let me know what you think?

Poor fellow! To my untrained eye, it looks like it was the result of an injury or even a genetic issue. :(

As for the breeder being quick to offer a replacement...that shows she's a good breeder. With that being said, you won't be able to get vet bills from her. Most of the sales policies I've seen are guaranteed for X amount of days, and then it's a replacement or refund deal.

If you're going to keep him, I'd definitely get him to the vet to see if they can figure out what's going on. He looks happy, and is at least able to move around, so those are good things.

Good luck!

Okay, I'm pretty sure the breeder had some idea he was having some kind of problem being mobile, assuming he was born that way or it happened soon after he was born. Could be genetic, could be nerve damage...if you plan to keep him then you should let a vet look at him. I agree with Wendy that you shouldn't expect the breeder topay the vet bills,but she should definitely offer you another, healthy, rabbit. It just bugs me that she "supposedly" didn't notice this. This isn't normal for any age rabbit.

Yeah i second that. If he's always been that way it should have been noticed. Replacing them is a common offer of breeders without hurting their operation they are trying to make you happy. He seems to have function and feeling just by the right kind. First thing first will you keep him or have him replaced.?

In my introduction, I shared how every pet I've ever owned was a rescue animal and had health issues- short term or long term- and I really wanted my first bunny to start off healthy. I also said that once I add an animal to my family, it's mine until it passes. Ani's my baby now, and I love him. A replacement in not an option. This breeder is either a liar, or too inexperienced with rabbits to notice major issues, and I wouldn' trust her to take care of Anakin. That being said, I've never had a bunny, especially a special needs bunny. I know I'm not the best candidate to be his mom, but I am. He's going to the vet which ever day I can get off work next. I've been trying to find things online to help me take care of him, but most articles I've come across focus more on recognizing a special needs bunny than helping one. Anybody experienced in a situation like mine or who has information or a link to information, please help me out. This is a very rough time for me.:(

Good for you on deciding to keep him. Help with his situation s hard ... after a diagnosis people could give more help. The same issue a thousand of us have had present itself differently and its hard to recognize that we have dealt with it before plus we could another people what they think but we gotta figure out if its a bone issue, injury, hind leg weakness or what.

Latest posts

Back