soft pooh!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toniotay

Reaction score
hello i wonder if anyone can help me i have a 4yr old lop who is a house rabbit ive been feeding him the same food for over 12months now and the last few days he has had soft pooh he usually gets this if i give him to many greens so i have stopped the greens altogother and he still getting runny pooh. i took him to the vet about8 weeks ago who said he was a healthy rabbit and lovely( i only took him for a check up as he hadnt been for 3 years) there hasnt been any ned to take him. he hasnt changed as in hes behaviour just the runny pooh

Hi there.

I suggest you take him back to the vet and get them to do a fecal test. Runny poo can be a sign of parasites which will need medication to clear it up.

If you have not changed his diet at all, and the runny poo started out of nowhere - you should take him in as soon as possible.

Also, while is his poo is runny, you should get Pedialyte from the grocery or drug store. It's a liquid used for babies that has electrolytes in it and is used to keep the bunny hydrated while he has the diarreah. Is he still drinking lots? Make sure he is drinking as he can get dehydrated. Get the pedialyte and try to get him to take some of that as well.

Definately take him to the vet - they will probably want to do a fecal test, so take some samples of his poop in with you (as fresh as possible)in a plastic baggie when you go.

:yeahthat

Is all of his poop runny? Or is some normal and round, and some runny? If he's also having normal round poops, chances are the problem is the cecals/cecotropes. What pellets are you feeding him, and what type of hay? It's not unusual for adult rabbits to get sensitive to higher protein levels, such as in alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay. If this is the case,switching to timothy pellets (Oxbow Bunny Basics/T or Kaytee Timothy Complete) and timothy or other grass hay can help.

If all the poop is runny, definately take him to a vet and bring a sample along.

thanx for the replys he does have normal poop as well as the runny poop he isnt drinking any more than usual. i feed him a mixed food that he has had for a long time.

Ok, if he has both types of poop then it's a cecal problem. Cecals can get out of whack from excess carbs,protein, or new veggies that they aren't used to. Sometimes it's a parasite infection, but I'd try switching his pellets first. Like I said, it's actually fairly common for adult rabbits to become sensitive to the high protein pellets they've been eating for years. Mixed pellets with the seeds and such in them are actually very bad for rabbits. Ignore what the packaging says, it's carb-laden junk food. Plus they tend to have low amounts of fiber, which can be another cause.

At the least, switch him to a high fiber alfalfa pellet.Oxbow makes a good one, or go to a feed store. Many of the alfalfa pellets in pet stores aren't very good compared to pellets made for breeders, and are more expensive too. Look for something with no treats or colored bits, 16% or less protein (less is better)and 18% or more fiber (more is better). Ideally, you should switch him to a timothy pellet such as Oxbow Bunny Basics/T (14%protein, 25-29% fiber) or Kaytee Timothy Complete (13% protein, 18-23%fiber).

Also limit his pellets to about 1/4 cup per 5 lbs of rabbit, give or take depending on whether he needs to gain or loose weight.And make sure he eats lots of grass hay. He should have grass hay such as timothy available 24/7.

Latest posts

Back