Soft Poo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken25

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Holland lop bunny about 9 weeks old. Every morning I find the soft grape poos (cecotrophy) all over his cage. It seems he is not eating them when they come out. Hes been doing this for about 1.5 weeks now. I feed him unlimited Timothy Hay and a decent amount of high fiber pellets. Please advise. Thank you

This can sometimes be common in young bunnies - my own little guy left cecotropes in his cage a lot for the first week I had him.

Has he seen a vet? It's also possible that he has a parasite - the vet will check a sample of his poo and make sure he's healthy.

When I first got Dolla, my Fuzzy lop she did the same thing (same age too). She was tested to make sure she had no parasites and when that came back negative I finally had to reduce her pellets down to what she would eat as an adult and encourage her to eat lots of timothy hay.

Any time you're seeing soft fecal pellets, it's generally a good idea to decrease pellet intake and increase hay until the problem corrects itself.

A 9 week old Holland will probably eat about 1/4 cup of pellets daily plus unlimited hay and be full and healthy. Of course, if it is a larger Holland or Holland mix that is larger than usual size, 1/2 cup may be better.

At his age, not eating all his cecals is pretty normal. Are you feeding an alfalfa-based pellet? That's important for young bunnies. Once he reaches 6 months or so, you should start cutting back on the amount of pellets he gets, and then gradually switch to timothy pellets. If an adult rabbit isn't eating their cecal poos, it usually means they get too many pellets.

It may be good to have a vet do a fecal float to make sure there aren't parasites. That can sometimes cause bunnies to not eat their cecals. In addition, if he's on a wire-bottomed cage, he may not be getting the chance to eat the cecals--they can just fall right through the bars. Just something to think about if you have that kind of cage.

Latest posts

Back