Socks showing neuro symptoms with early signs of stasis...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runestonez

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Some of you might remember Socks...we adopted him from another RO member a couple of years ago...

He has been great and very healthy no issues with him at all.

However, in the last two months he has developed the early stages of stasis twice. The first time we noticed smaller poops...but he was still pooping so we watched but didn't intervene...within the first 12 hours he started to develop a bit of a head tilt. He was fine again within 24 hours so no steps were taken...The head tilt disappeared with the stasis.

Last night he was again showing early signs of stasis. Smallish poops, not eating his veg (his doesn't eat very much in the way of veg or pellets...finiky eater) his head was tipped a bit but not enough to be concerned. The first thing we do with a stasis bunn is assess them and try to get them moving around a bit...

When we put him on the floor, he had a complete head tilt to the left all the way to the side, was scanning and spinning non-stop. I wrapped him up to stop the movements, treated him with 1ml Ovol and .10ml Metacam and held him until the scanning and spinning had stopped...the head tilt was also gone at this point...
When I checked his abdomen it was soft, doughy...felt completely normal no sign of gas, blockages, anything! I massaged his tummy anyway while I was holding him...

Has anyone had this happen?
It is the first time we have seen these symptoms in combination with stasis...especially when there doesn't seem to be anykind of GI blockage...I was thinking stomach not emptying properly?
That I wouldn't be able to feel under the ribs...or the top of the intestinal tract?

He is fine this morning...has started to poop normally again and is tilt free...very odd!

Danielle

He probably has an inner ear infection and should be seen by a vet. The stasis is just a complication created by a budding infection in his ear.
In other word he doesn't feel well because of it and it is affecting his GI tract.

The disorientation and spinning ( neurological symptoms)is caused by the infection moving into theinner ear.

In the meantime makes sure that he is secured ..possibly by rolling up towels and placing them on each side of his body to help keep him erect .
You also need to protect him from rolling and thus harming himself . Medication can be given to help with the dizziness (very important) but the most important ones are stronger antibiotic to combat the infection . If he tilts.. the down eye nees to be kept lubricated .

this is a challenge but can be managed with time, the correct meds,steady care and patience

we have several members here who are experts at treating headtilt (Jadeicing ) and I am sure she will contribute to this thred.
in the meantime he needs to go to rabbit knowledgeable vet ASAP

Yeah, it sounds like an ear infection which certainly would cause GI upset as well--they're very painful. I hope you and a vet can get this sorted out soon!

Stasis is almost always a symptom of something else, it's not really its own issue.

The most common causes may be something relatively simple like a molt or something they ate (a food sensitivity, spoilage, ingestion of a non-digestible substance, etc). It could be a dental issue or an infection, or even stress.

In this case the ear infection is likely. How old is Socks? What's his breed again?

sas :?

Hey Pipp...Socks is a Brittania Petite cross of some sort...

The weird thing is he is fine again...after I gave him the Ovol and the Metacam...it took about 5 minutes and all the symptoms stopped. I have been watching him since then...his poops are normal again and is at present charging around the bunny playroom annoying Oliver. He is back to eating normally...:?

He was in for a checkup after the last bout of stasis and the exam turned up nothing...it has been approx. 30 days give or take since the first bout.

Danielle

Could it have cleared temporarily without treatment and then come back?

I think with infections, they can come and go as the body tries to fight them. In some cases, the body can fight off an infection by itself; but it's not wise to rely on this.

Pain (particularly from teeth) can come and go as well.

Latest posts

Back