So many cecals!?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undergunfire

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I am so horrible on the subject of rabbit poop :grumpy:.

Brody poops so many cecals that it is not even cool. They are all over his NIC pen and it really is quite gross.

Is it just because he is a baby bunny? I haven't a clue why he doesn't eat them. They are huge peices that look like a soft grape bunch. He doesn't have the "runs", though.

He is on unlimited Oxbow Bunny Basics 15/23 (alfalfa) and eats unlimited Oxbow timothy hay, as well. I don't give him treats, but maybe 2 cheerio's a week.

Because I haven't a clue in the world and have never had this problem before :headsmack...

WHYYYY does he have so many cecal poopies :ponder:?

Well, when mine have had this, it usually means they need a diet adjustment...usually cutting back on pellets or a certain veggie. Butthey've been adults so I don't know about a baby.:ponder:

I thought babies were supposted to have unlimited alfalfa pellets? Should I cut back on the pellets? How much per day?

His cecals are just out of control :?.

Is he eating his hay? Are you feeding alfalfa pellets and timothy hay? That is the best combo - Some say alfalfa hay too but I have found they get plenty of alfalfa through the pellets they have.

How old is Brody now? I think I have read that babies will have extras sometimes, but if he's leaving that many - maybe it's time to cut back on his pellets? Tony was stuffing himself each time I put feed in his dish - for awhile - then he realized he gets plenty and had to eat some hay too and he finally stopped leaving them and his whole bathroom situation changed! He basically litterbox trained within a couple of days...... I still get a few poos outside but that's common with most rabbits.

I thought babies were supposted to have unlimited alfalfa pellets?

That's what I thought was the norm too. But then again, it may be the pellets.

Like Bo said, it may be time to cut back. You can try to cut back a little and see how he does...as long as he's a good hay eater.

Depending on how old he is, I don't know if I would go by the "weight ration" rule just yet. But maybe just scaling back a little from what he's eating now would help him.

Funny thing--both of my Hollands had to have strict pellet rations. If they got anymore than their ration it would be instant cecal overload. But my big girl mixed breed bun can have her full ration and then some. I swear she has a gut of steel. ;)

edit to add: just a cleaning tip on cecal madness...if it's "fresh" and you see it before he steps on it, that's of course the easiest way to keep clean. But if it's already been squashed and partially dried (and I swear they step on them almost instantly), it's easier to let it dry then vacuum the piles up. Then you can clean the stain (if any) left behind--I use soap and water on carpet, vinegar water on hard surfaces. Mine have always gotten sucked right up by the vacuum, but if that doesn't work, I know some people have put a wet paper towel over the dried pile and were able to get it right up.

Some of my Dinkies had excess cecals as babies, so I cut down on their food. Most people say to give unlimited pellets, but I've met some people who don't give unlimited. I gave mine LOADS of hay and gave a fresh ahndful eveyr hour or so, and it sorted quickly. It was cute too because they qwould eat pellets ut my hand.

Then I found if I gave them timothy hay, a generous handful in the evening, in addition to their regular hay, I could give them more pellets.

Not sure how that helps, but that was how I battled cecals in my babies. they still don't get unlimited pellets, if they did they wouldn't eat hay, so I just give them fresh hay regularly.

Dallas is the one here who has issues with that. No one else. I fooled around with different amounts of food till I found that right amount for him.

Can someone define cecal and tell me if any are normal, some are to be expected etc?

I'm not sure I'm greatly familiar with this, though I do know Onion passed one the other day - the first I've found with 5 rabbits.

they usually eat them straight out of there tush so you dont tend to seee them.

and they look like a brown, tiny bunch of grapes! ity bity and squishy

there packed with vit, and good stuff for there digestion. that have to keep a balance from eating them.

thats about all i know..

oh and when they dont eat them, it makes a sticky smelly mess....

and with a double lion head... makes for one matted bunny....

(one of the fosters.... when he came in i had to get him shaved :()

Latest posts

Back