Snuffles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbunmommy

Reaction score
Charlie has a case of the snuffles. He was so good about taking his meds last time he was sick (I simply put them in a small lid and he licked them up) this time, he took one lick and immediately put his paws to his mouth, shook his little head and made a spitting sorta noise. My poor baby. I flavored it with a little bit of pineapple juice but he refused the lid. I've had to dip my finger in the meds and he will lick it off my finger. Any easier ways? I'm not good with syringe feeding. He fights, I panic... no bueno

Syringe or eye dropper isn't hard if you insert in the side of the mouth behind the front teeth. It always helps if they like the taste of the med. Is there something he really likes that you could put it on top of?

I recently discovered the lid method too! Much easier than the syringe... I only use a syringe for my rabbits though, to assure they've taken everything. I don't think fingers work as well because it is time consuming, and not as much will be taken in.

Maybe you can try syringe feeding again, by wrapping him up and trying to hold him in a corner. Or in your lap. My rabbits will jump for my lap or run away if I wrap them up. So I decided to just catch them on the ground, pet them, and talking to them, when they weren't expecting it and calm, I would give them the medicine. Simple enough.

I also agree with majorv, I sometimes put something sweet or juice that they like on the top of the syringe and it's much easier. And, I always have a treat or veggie for them on hand after the syringe and they immediately forget about what just happened. Good luck. :)

I've tried wrapping him up and he just fights to holy hell. Its meds time, I'm gonna try the lid again with a bit more juice

Try mixing with a little bit of mushed banana. Not too much, as you don't want to overdo the sugar.

So Charlie was still sneezing after a full round of antibiodics, I took him for a recheck today and the doctor said it looks to be allergies seeing as his eyes are white and clear, his nose has no discharge and his lungs sound clear

That's good news that your vet thinks its allergies.
I tried hiding medicine in all kinds of food and mushed banana with a sprinkle of flax seeds seemed to work the best.

Back