Snuffles?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suggestions?

• Continue with the ointment

• Return to the vet

• Don't worry about it

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

PeachJuice

Reaction score
My bunny's left eye has been running for quite some time now. It used to be a murky white colour, but now it's usually fairly clear. I took him to the vet when this started and she gave me something called BNPH ointment to put on his eye. I did this for about two weeks and it only took the murkiness away. I still have some left, but I've long since stopped applying it to my bunny's eye since it doesn't seem to be working and he absolutely hates it. Today he started sneezing more than usual, which scares me 'cause I fear he can't breathe properly. I wonder if it's something more in his nose that's causing these symptoms. Reading the description of "snuffles" I think this may be what he has. What should I do? Should I just keep applying the ointment? Or take him back to the vet? Or is this something I just shouldn't worry about and leave alone unless it gets worse?

when you are given a prescription for your pet, the intention is for you to finish it completely. This is so that all the bacteria and not the the intitial, weaker bacteria are killed, otherwise the infection will just come back a second time around and be worse. I would highly recommend a vet visit to see what the best thing to do now is, maybe get some xrays of your bunny's lungs to see if the cough is related to something there. If they ask you about the first prescription tell them you didn't finish it, they may prescribe something else for you. best of luck!

Most of those ointments are not meant to be finished because they come in a huge tube that will last months.

I suspect a tooth root problem since you mention only one eye is runny. If it were an upper respiratory infection, both eyes would be affected. I would have the vet take a dental x-ray series to check the tooth roots. IT cannot be determined if the roots are ok without an x-ray.

Latest posts

Back