Sneezing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleo3

Reaction score
I am currently unemployed and in the middle of a difficult move. Sometime last week, I noticed that my rabbit started sneezing. It seemed innocent enough at first, but I've noticed the sneezes getting more and more violent. Today, my mom moved him from the table his cage was on in the living room to the tile floor right next to the doorway (one of many reasons for my difficult move). It's pretty cold outside and he was exposed to a draft all day. Now he has a slightly green discharge coming from his nose.

Of course I am taking him to a vet as soon as I am able, but tomorrow is Sundayso they are closedand Monday is when we are movingour furniture. Do you think it is okay to wait until Tuesday take him?Ifso,is there ANYTHING I can do to make him feel better in the mean time?

:tears2:I hate seeing him like this! :help

Respiratory infection?

I hope a mod moves your post to the Infirmiry where it may get some proper attention!!

I would get the bun to a vet sooner rather than later. I think contrary to popular belief, draftiness and "cold" weather don't cause the cold but may cause your body to be more susceptible to germs that may have already been lurking.

I know that buns' internal body temperature starts to drop when they get ill for various reasons and so keeping them warm may help. I'm not sure for this situation though. Does he seem cold? Cold ears? Hunched up? Do you know how to take the temp of a rabbit (i.e. rectal read)?

I'll move this to the Infirmary.

First off, you need to de-stress and de-stress the bunny. It's probably not a coincidence he's sneezing during a 'difficult move' because that type of stress (physical and metal) will bring down his immune system and allow him to 'catch something', or more likely allow the bacteria already in his system to get a foothold.

While its always good to nip it in the bud, its not worth an emergency visit. Until you can get him in for what will probably be a round of antibiotics, just keep him calm, warm, dry and well-nourished.

Usually the Vets will try an antibiotic for a seven day trial and it it works they continue (unless it cleared up almost immediately), and if it doesn't work, they'll try a culture and sensitivity test. Or another antibiotic. The modern line of thinking is that they have to stay on an antibiotic (that works) for a longer period of time than previously thought to avoid a reoccurrence.

You may also want to make sure nothing has changed in the bunny's environment -- ie: new bedding, hay, etc, on the off-chance its an allergy.

How old is he? You also may need to rule out dental issues if he's an older rabbit.

But he should be fine until Tuesday, just take extra care.

sas :clover:

He is about 6 months old now and, unfortunately, it has been a couple of stressfull days for him. It affects me so much when my animals are under the weather! When my dog was a puppy, I worked at a veterinarian and her medical records by far exceeded those of other dogs because I would bring her in for the mildest stuff (i.e. hiccups, a single soft stool). I was even made fun of by my co-workers. I will fully admit that it's in my nature to exaggerate the symptoms. But he can't speak for himself and thee is still something definately wrong with him. Regardless, I will not sleep well until he (the bunny) is feeling better.

I used some warm water to wipe off the boogers from his little nose and feet, is that okay? Also, I put some bunny vitamin drops in his water with the intention of giving him a little boost.

kirbyultra wrote:
I know that buns' internal body temperature starts to drop when they get ill for various reasons and so keeping them warm may help. I'm not sure for this situation though. Does he seem cold? Cold ears? Hunched up? Do you know how to take the temp of a rabbit (i.e. rectal read)?

Is it at all similar to taking a dog's temperature? I have a puppy first aid kit for them that contains their own thermometer and lubricating jelly for easier insertion. As much as I love my animals, I will NEVER share a thermometer with them!:yuck

ETA: What is the normal internal temperature for a rabbit?

Thanks for your help everyone! I took him in on Wednesday to a new vet that I haven't seen before. She has 2 rabbits at home and, of course, knew what she was talking about! He's on Baytril now and doing much better.

I wasn't expecting the medicine to cost so much, but as long as he's healthy, it's money well spent!

To make sure the money you spend on the antibiotic pays off, I would make sure you have at least 2 weeks worth. If you only got 10 days, or less, the infection may appear to clear up but could recur because not all of it was destroyed.

Latest posts

Back