Sneezing or the sniffles?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katelyn0703

Reaction score
My husband and I are new to owning a bunny. She's been eating normal and going to the restroom normal. She started this morning what sounds like either a sniffle or a sneeze. Is it something I should be concerened about?

IMMEDIATE INFORMATION:

Location- Texas

Description (Breed, color, weight)- We aren't sure of the breed. Someone suggested Jersey Wool. She weighs about 5 or 6 lbs. She is white with some light brown parts to her.

Age-Not sure

Sex-Female

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / CHECK LIST: (Please fill in relevant info).

Fecal and Urinary Output

- are the bunny's poops and pees normal?yes
- when did they last use their litterbox?about an hour ago
- any unusual behavior? straining to pee? unusual litter habits?The only unusual behavior is the sneezing
- what litter and/or bedding do you use? It's Kaytee Soft-Sorbent

Is it just an occasional sneeze (maybe one or two a day) or is it more constant than that? It's normal for rabbits to sneeze occasionally. Sometimes they shove their heads in a pile of hay dust, or their exploring takes them into a dusty part of the house and they'll sneeze just like we would.
Sneezing can also be a sign of something more serious, like a respiratory infection. Bunnies are pretty meticulous about cleaning their faces, but sometimes you'll see the mucus on what is essentially the insides of their wrists.
If she's a new bunny anyway, it might be a good idea to take her to the vet just to get her checked out and established with a vet in your area.

My Fiona has been sneezing for nearly four years now. She's been on antibiotics and anti-allergy medication and we couldn't stop it. I don't think I've ever heard our other rabbit sneeze, so I'm not worried about it spreading to him. She lives a perfectly happy life running and playing and such, except for that 30 seconds a day or so she spends sneezing.

Here's a link to our list of Texas rabbit savvy vets, if you don't have a vet already.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11633&forum_id=9

missyscove wrote:
Is it just an occasional sneeze (maybe one or two a day) or is it more constant than that? It's normal for rabbits to sneeze occasionally. Sometimes they shove their heads in a pile of hay dust, or their exploring takes them into a dusty part of the house and they'll sneeze just like we would.
Sneezing can also be a sign of something more serious, like a respiratory infection. Bunnies are pretty meticulous about cleaning their faces, but sometimes you'll see the mucus on what is essentially the insides of their wrists.
If she's a new bunny anyway, it might be a good idea to take her to the vet just to get her checked out and established with a vet in your area.

My Fiona has been sneezing for nearly four years now. She's been on antibiotics and anti-allergy medication and we couldn't stop it. I don't think I've ever heard our other rabbit sneeze, so I'm not worried about it spreading to him. She lives a perfectly happy life running and playing and such, except for that 30 seconds a day or so she spends sneezing.

Here's a link to our list of Texas rabbit savvy vets, if you don't have a vet already.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11633&forum_id=9
Yeah, she has a vet appointment next week. The sneezing was just so sudden that it worried me. It's been an hour since she last sneezed. Hopefully it isn't the beginning of respiratory infection. Thank you for in the information!

Is she inside or outside? If she's outside, or even inside in a room above 75-80 degrees, she could be breathing heavily from the heat, especially considering it sounds like she's a long-haired breed.

Latest posts

Back