Sneezing Bunnies Please Help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redthunderrabbits

Reaction score

My rabbits just recently all started to sneeze. Here in upstate NY the weather has been really bad. One day it was snowing the next it was 70 and sunny. My aunt who also raises rabbits mentioned it could be the weather since my barn isn’t weather proof. My babies are all a week old and doing fine but one of my mini rex’s died Sunday. He ate drank and then an hour later was dead :(. I am concerned this will happen to all of my rabbits. My vet gave me medicine for some of the worse ones but I cant afford it for all of them. and the vet even mentioned asking “rabbit people.” to see what they recommend. So I decided to turn to this lovely site who always helps me out when I need it. Thanks J

redthunderrabbits wrote:
My rabbits just recently all started to sneeze. Here in upstate NY the weather has been really bad. One day it was snowing the next it was 70 and sunny. My aunt who also raises rabbits mentioned it could be the weather since my barn isn’t weather proof. My babies are all a week old and doing fine but one of my mini rex’s died Sunday. He ate drank and then an hour later was dead :(. I am concerned this will happen to all of my rabbits. My vet gave me medicine for some of the worse ones but I cant afford it for all of them. and the vet even mentioned asking “rabbit people.” to see what they recommend. So I decided to turn to this lovely site who always helps me out when I need it. Thanks J
if we are talking about-adult,rabbits-sneezing,,is likely the result of an upper respiratory infection-requiring antibiotics like zithrromax/baytril/--if we are talking new kits,they could get meds thru the milk(nursing)--generally a nasal culture is required to identify the strain of bacteria--so as the proper antibiotic can be prescribed.//.as with any oral anitibiotic oral probiotics are required to stablize the gi tract,,or you will make the situation worse.//.oxbow critical care has probiotics in it,,they work best.//.prey animals-(rabbits)-refuse to show weakness to predatory animals.,to the point of dying..//.just the way they are hard wired.//.an exotic dvm should pickup and deduce this problem quickly because the timer is running...sincerely james waller:scared:

In case the Baytril doesn't work, you can also get bicillin at a farm store and it can be given via sub-cutaneous injection. It's a very cheap way to treat rabbits, and it's pretty effective, although like James said, Zithromax is usually the best one at treating upper respiratory infections.

You are correct. My vet said that Baytril may not work so i am going to take your advice and contact the vet about Zithromax and if that doesnt work I will try bicillin although I am not really comfortable with injections I was told they could kill rabbits. I was also reccomended to use Taramacin (spelling) a solution you use for chikens that you put in the water. Has anyone heard of that?

Teramycin is also used a ton, so many bacteria are resistant to it. It's so common to use that it can be put in soap. Also, it's hard to get the dosing exactly right when you give it in their drinking water. I wouldn't use it.

Latest posts

Back